Horsey Staithe/mere

VetChugger

I would love to hear from anyone who manages to get up to Horsey this year! We "bullied" our way in on "Juliette" last year and found a mooring hard to to come by. We did manage to squeeze in but were never entirely sure if we were meant to be there or not. We had the obligatory stroll to the "Nelsons Head" which is a reward in itself. One of my very favourite parts of the Broads.

I miss getting under the bridge and up to Horsey. I also would love to visit the Nelson Head.

We haven’t made it to those parts since changing to hiring motor boats instead of sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Historically there has been a £5 fee to moor there (well worth it). I think the fee is now collected by Ross who runs the wildlife tours from his boat Lady Ann which is moored at the end of the staithe. From my experience you would be very unlucky not to get under PH bridge in Juliette. I have been through I think at 5ft 11ins clearance. The Nelson hasn't really changed in decades and is glorious in my opinion of course. As is the beach at Horsey a 30 min walk away. There is also a shower, decent loos, a National Trust centre and a little shop. I would say that there is room for around 12 craft to moor ,there ,depending on size of course, mainly on the left hand side as you enter the staithe. There are a number of private boats that are permanently moored there too.

• Like 2

You can just turn Janet at 32 foot on the corner, its nose into the v at the corner and power the stern round, with about 6" spare, Juliette however will be about 7 foot too long, but  as she is a martham built boat, she should fit under Potter most of the time.

• Like 3

Currently moored at horsey, no other boats, the whole staithe to ourselves, mooring fees now collected by the national trust, Ross is up and running with his river tours, still collects the fees on occasion 

• Like 2

Just to be clear, I was referring to our trip up there last September and, yes, Peter, it was Martham's "Juliette" and, yes, I did have to reverse the length of the dyke to leave. Having said that, I have had Martham boats before and they tend to steer very steadily in reverse at a slow pace. I've "shown off" at a few moorings in th past on a Martham boat seemingly getting her into impossible moorings.  I got rounds of applause at both Ranworth , into the end  side mooring, and reversing the length  of Neatishead Dyke. They do handle superbly. This year we are sticking south and going out on "Pacific Diamond".

• Like 1