Be Extra Careful On The River

Hylander

When learning to sail, my instructor taught that water was always trying to kill you.

I have since learnt that water is devious, gets you into a false sense of security, looks inviting and makes you forget.

So, in offshore sailing you quickly learn that going in may be fatal but here cause you can see eiter bank it seems more safe.

see what i mean about water?

When going along, my hand is never for away from the throttle considering how many paddle boarders there are not wearing hi viz lifejackets

And just because you can see the bank and get to it dont assume that means you will be able to get out. before i go for a swim, i test the depth with a boat hook, find somewhere with steps to be able to get out, and set a rope at that location, either tied to a tree or fixed to a rhond anchor with the sole intent to provide a safety rope to assist getting out of the water,  if you fall in, none of these safety steps will be in place to help you get out.

• Like 1