The Charm Of The Norfolk Broads

Woodie

Came across these little leaflets today at my Mums. Unfortunately can’t ask her about them as she passed in September.

Obviously quite old, as priced 2/6!

Although titled the same, some subtle differences. The smaller one has an introduction and short piece on the author.

Not read one yet, but some lovely colour drawings of bygone times.

CE632EA8-8EEE-47F5-ACC0-B86BD25CFB52.jpeg

A4D233AC-16BD-40A3-9063-389F57260E90.jpeg

59815453-8E77-4D77-806B-71A6F3B9717A.jpeg

3200D5F5-49F7-495F-AF7B-B5B5D2F19F95.jpeg

6ECE9353-9CA3-47D9-986A-FBCD53F5604A.jpeg

27AD5498-2BAF-4E55-A049-A7AD48347327.jpeg

4765574D-CEEF-4ABD-9808-36A37B7667EE.jpeg

• Like 9

The booklets were produced by Broads Tours and feature the artwork of owner Charles Hannaford who took over the company in the 1930s. They were published as souvenirs for customers who took day trips on one off the large fleet of passenger launches which operated from the Broads Tours base at Wroxham/Hoveton. Hannaford was an accomplished watercolour artist whose artwork was also available to buy from Broads Tours.

I was kindly given access to a huge collection of photos belonging to Charles Hannaford, dating from the 1920s to the 1960s, many of which were taken as aids for his artwork, some were even recognisable as the basis for the illustrations within "The Charm of The Norfolk Broads" booklets. The booklets were revised and published in several different versions over the years. I think I have five different copies!

I initially wrote a blog post about the collection and The Charm of The Norfolk Broads here: https://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2016/02/charles-hannaford-art-photography-and-the-charm-of-the-norfolk-broads/

The full collection of Charles Hannaford's photos can be found here: 

https://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/hannafordcollection_page1.html

Carol

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that information Carol, nice to have the history on what was, to us, a surprise find in my mums things. Mum and Dad spent a lot of time in Norfolk from the late eighties onwards, but predominantly Blakeney. I would love to know the story behind how she came to have these, and why she kept them.

The first photo is certainly one of the earlier editions but I suspect may be slightly later than 1951 if it is a 12th impression. Don't quote me on that one though! It is quite possible that they may have taken a trip on the Broads during their honeymoon. The second version you have is definitely later- the copy I have with that cover probably dates to the mid/late 1970s as it mentions that Hannaford passed away in 1972.

If they were regular visitors to the region in the 80s, perhaps they were a charity shop find? A couple of my copies have found their way into my collection via a local Oxfam. They are lovely little booklets.

Carol

Perhaps they were just too nice to throw out!

Charles Hannaford was never going to be accredited as one of the great Broads artists but he certainly created some charming pictures. Probably painted just for the joy of it, to please himself, and why not? A very competent amateur, his accuracy in depicting boats was sometimes poor though.

• Like 1