TV reception on the Broads after digital switchover

Hi I recently purchased a Digital TV for the boat but couldn't get a reception at the moorings so we went to purchase an aerial but were told that after the digital switchover next year you will not be able to receive anything through the aerial and that we would need a satelite dish. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm not convinced! HELP!

Total cobblers, in fact after the switch over you will get much better and more reliable reception than you could now as the digital signal will be much stronger. That said you will still need a decent areial. Preferably not from the place that just spun you that nonsense as they don’t deserve your business with advice like that :grin:

There is always the possibility that your moorings may be in difficult position for terrestial TV but that would have nothing to do with the switchover.

Absolutely right (the "Total Cobblers" bit).

The Broads TV signal from the Tacolneston mast near Attleborough is being switched up to full power this November, with a ten fold increase in signal strength.

It should then be possible to get good reception over the whole area on even the less selective "omni directional" aerials, especially made for boats and caravans. When that happens, the use of a mobile satellite dish will rapidly decline, because of the continuous task of setting them up and avoiding drift. The terrestrial DVB-T omni aerials will just work, everywhere, with no further adjustment.

(What a lousy shop that was)....

Correct me if I am wrong,but you will need a TV with built in Freeview or a digi box,regardless of what ariel you are using,the switch over for Norfolk is 23rd November 2011.

You are quite correct....... :clap:clap:clap

But even with the increase in power you'll still need a quality aerial to receive pics all over the Broads. Digital will either work or not... Analogue you might see with "snow" in the background but not so with digital.

So buy a proper digital aerial! Those cheap things you see will NOT work in poor signal areas. I recommend the log periodic yagis, one of which is specifically designed for Tacolneston's frequency.

So buy a proper digital aerial! Those cheap things you see will NOT work in poor signal areas. I recommend the log periodic yagis, one of which is specifically designed for Tacolneston's frequency.

My Glomex was far from cheap (just under a £100 with the amp).

Going by the signal and quality strength indicators on my digital TV at the moment, it's only just short of pulling in a picture now, with just a tenth of the new signal strength, indeed, it occasionally succeeds, even when blanketed by trees between Horning & Wroxham.

A directional aerial (Yagi or otherwise), will always provide a more powerful and directional selective signal, but would be an unnecessary complication on a boat if the much smaller and fully enclosed omni-directional aerials do work comfortably with the much boosted signals. They would not require realignment at every new location, and could be left permanently attached, even on the smallest of boats, much more convenient.... :)

why would you need the tv anyway? there are far better ways to entertain yourselves! cheersbar;)

tis is true bit if my crew cant watch there soaps its mutinee i tell ye

Jonny

why would you need the tv anyway? there are far better ways to entertain yourselves! cheersbar;)

Well I totally agree, I would be happy not to have the tv, but if I have any chance of getting my teenage girls to come with us at weekends the tv has to help :grin:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Well I totally agree, I would be happy not to have the tv, but if I have any chance of getting my teenage girls to come with us at weekends the tv has to help :grin:

Excuse me, but that is a definate reason NOT to have one :lol::lol::lol: . Imagine the peace and quiet :naughty::naughty: