CAPPING MAILBOX SIZE - Drachonian, Unhelpful and unwelcome

I am posting this here as non-members will have no idea that as from tomorrow the mailbox limit will be 25 TOTAL messages, now this forum, I believed was set up to help the community of those Broads boating users, and I currently have a major problem with my boat that has since opened up alot of personal communication via PM that is 'back and forward' and demonstrates EXACTLY what peoples concerns are regardingf this backward reduction in size.

I understand that space costs money and performance, but a more sensible level has been suggested of 100 messages - more than enough for everyone, and yet, despite much protestation on and off the forum, and also to some degree a level of uneducated comment from others, the limit has been set at 25, that can be as few as 5 message strings each having a 'back and forward' conversation (ie 5 parts)

WHY has NBNs team decided to make us members suffer

Id just like to say that Im disappointed as I personally in my job, when away can access the forum but often cannot access email because of security implications, yezs I may be just one, but also with the current issue with my boat this move has come at a terrible time and it means the NBN forums new BACKWARD policy is just going to penalise me as a user

Thanks

Cut and paste important messages into a word document and dump the ephemora, it's what I do and will continue to do. Alternatively hit the email user button instead of the PM user button and that way you can keep whatever messages you want in your email along with all the rest.

You have also posted something from members only into open forum in contravention of the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" rule, something that is not viewed well at all. You already know that I do sympathise with your current predicement but you have had time to deal with it as has everybody else.

I am posting this here as non-members will have no idea that as from tomorrow the mailbox limit will be 25 TOTAL messages,

I'm not a full member and I was certainly aware/informed.

I sympathise with admin on this as I guess most people, me included, will just leave messages undeleted, taking up valuable space.

My inbox is normally empty .... except when i've niggled a mod or two. :naughty:

I don't want to get involved with this and I hope no one thinks I am interfering, but I just had a look at the mail section....

Not sure if everyone knows this, but it appears (and I could be very wrong) that the standard setting is set so if your mailbox is full, you cannot receive new messages....

If you go to your mailbox, and look further down the page on the left you can see a button that says "Rules, folders & Settings" If you click this, you will see a bit that says "If folder is full" with a multiple choice. The standard, as I said, appears to be "Do not accept new messages (New messages will be held back until enough space is available)"

Instead of this, click the "Delete oldest messages" - then you will not miss any messages, and the oldest are deleted as new ones come in.

post-699-136713828169_thumb.jpg

If you have a message that you want to keep forever, then once you have read it you can mark it as important...

Hope this helps, and sorry if this is common knowledge, but judging by some of the comments, it appears it isn't - I certainly didn't know.

Luke

What happens in Vegas

Yes David, and I thank you for your support and goodwill with my situation, however, I followed the thread concerned and one of the mods specifically mentioned it was being released prior to actioning, whether the thread is now universal, I dont know and am sorry that I've broken the rules, however, there was a great deal of conversation about the limit and yet none was taken into consideration....

Yes I have forwarded relevant bits and bobs - thankyou, but at the moment I have kept what is there for a reason (That I have informed you about) as I may need them exactly where they are!

You have also posted something from members only into open forum in contravention of the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" rule, something that is not viewed well at all.

Not sure that's right David. With all due respect, Gav has created a new thread, not cut and paste from members, about a subject that affects all members full or otherwise. Any non-full member could have done the same thing after receiving the email about the new limit, and as far as I can see there is nothing in the post that isn't general knowledge anyway.

Personally I have no problem with the 25 message limit, but having spoken to administrators from some other forums, it does seem rather low, with the norm being more like 50-100.

Luke, I never knew the "delete old messages" option existed, but I do now!!! Many thanks!