Aquafibre 38 (72-90)

Apollo

Hi everyone!

I am looking for anything technical  or historical regarding this particular model:

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Style_Details&style=Af38C

I have been living aboard one for about 3 years now. I love this boat and I would love to find original design drawings or information regarding the type of epoxy, type of core, mechanical infos, etc. Anything really that can help me be a better owner :) I am aware that there is a sub-forum dedicated to technical stuff but I am also interested in historical photos and stories so I posted this thread in general discussion. I'm happy for it to be moved to the sub-forum if the moderators think it's better.

It would be amazing if this kind of thread became an archetype so all the infos regarding a particular craft were centralised in a post named after the style and years of production according to the wonderful broads.org.uk (with a very warm thought to Craig Slawson and his family).

Anyway, here is what I know, (in part thanks to some of you!) hopefully someone has things to add!

Technical:

Material (hull and superstructure): GRP

Length: 38ft

Beam: 12ft

Airdraft (canopy lowered): 7ft

Engine: BMC 1.5 or 2.52

Gearbox: Borg-Warner Velvet Drive

Historical:

Also known as: Broom Seafarer

Produced from 1972 to 1990

Boatyards: Herbert Woods, Richardsons, Broom, Southgates, Heart Cruisers

Family photo from the 70's on this model : https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16482-looking-for-vintage-brochure-pictures/?do=findComment&comment=281139

Brochure as Gleaming Light (Herbert Woods): https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16482-looking-for-vintage-brochure-pictures/?do=findComment&comment=281156

Brochure as Dawning Light (Herbert Woods): https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16482-looking-for-vintage-brochure-pictures/?do=findComment&comment=281159

Big thanks to Broads.org.uk, NBYCo2124, Turnoar, Captain, Vaughan, Broads01, Seagypsy, Davydine and Malanka for the info so far.

I'll update this post as more comes in...

• Like 2

The spec will vary depending on who fitted them out - Aquafibre only ever built the mouldings apart from a few models.

A lot will have had a BMC and Borg Warner, but equally they could have had a Perkins depending on the particular yard's preference.

Quite a few of these boats were fitted out by the Thames yards such as Cheeseman Rollo, and many of the Broads yards were building them too including Aquafibre's sister company Broom.

Also, I don't think any of the 38 were built after around 1983. The 42' moulding was updated to the MK2 (like Brinks Symphony), but I don't think the 38 was. This is probably because the Pearl 38 was launched in around 1987, and that was seen as the replacement.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

The spec will vary depending on who fitted them out - Aquafibre only ever built the mouldings apart from a few models.

A lot will have had a BMC and Borg Warner, but equally they could have had a Perkins depending on the particular yard's preference.

Quite a few of these boats were fitted out by the Thames yards such as Cheeseman Rollo, and many of the Broads yards were building them too including Aquafibre's sister company Broom.

Also, I don't think any of the 38 were built after around 1983. The 42' moulding was updated to the MK2 (like Brinks Symphony), but I don't think the 38 was. This is probably because the Pearl 38 was launched in around 1987, and that was seen as the replacement.

Thanks! I wish I could keep editing my original post to add these details. Feel free to amend if you feel so inclined :)