Water Leisure Activities

Andrewcook

I've notice a lot of Water activities this Year such as Standing Water paddling if that is the name and Canoeing are they paying any River Tolls ? And adhering Safety Rules I.e. Life Jackets and us Boaters should be made aware of theses people on the Water and  Slow Down. Like I've done when I was on the Broads a few weeks ago. 

Two years ago I cruised down the river Yare from Brundall to Loddon. Just before the river Chet a number of people, three if I remember were swimming in the river. Brown heads, brown river. I slowed down, indeed I stopped. Swimming at that time of year was unexpected. It was not the people swimming that drew my attention but people on the bank. Why were they there?  It soon became apparent why. They were part of the swimmers, friends, family members perhaps. 

I did not see them. I would have ploughed through them. 

I would have to live with that. But nothing compared with the loss and anguish of the family's.

It must be stopped. This wild swimming in busy waters, frequented by novice boaters, high powered sea going cruisers, even experienced boats helmed by those with several years experience.

Andrew

• Like 1

I've witnessed it for the first time this year. Probably gonna upset some, but I'm sorry there is no place for allowing such activities in the Wroxham area it's just to busy with motor boats of all kinds. It's an accident waiting to happen. By all means allow it above the bridge or Wroxham broad etc etc but keep them away from the stretch of river from the bridge back as far as barnes. I agree the rivers should be enjoyed by everyone but common sense needs to play it's part. Loads of 1st time boaters taking over 46ft cruisers with canoes and paddle boarders weaving there way through the chaos.

• Like 1