Harvey Eastwood

Leon

This thread inspired me to have a quick 5 minutes trying to find any traces of build records or drawings from the old Harvey Eastwood business, again.

I found a couple of things which may spark memories: In an article about Mr Len Funnell in the EDP it says that a few yards passed through his hands in the 80s and 90s and Harvey Eastwoods was one of them. I also found that the HE yard was advertised for sale in 1985/6. So presuming that's when Len bought it does anyone know who he sold it on to?

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

This thread inspired me to have a quick 5 minutes trying to find any traces of build records or drawings from the old Harvey Eastwood business, again.

I found a couple of things which may spark memories: In an article about Mr Len Funnell in the EDP it says that a few yards passed through his hands in the 80s and 90s and Harvey Eastwoods was one of them. I also found that the HE yard was advertised for sale in 1985/6. So presuming that's when Len bought it does anyone know who he sold it on to?

I gather Harvey Eastwood died (though I don't know exactly when) so that would be why it was sold. I remember there being more of the AF Crystal 37's being in build in the sheds when we were on Santa Christina in 1985. They weren't a hugely popular design on the Broads but a lot were built for Ireland.

Around 1990, it was sold to Vivien Proctor and John Brown and the hirefleet was rebranded as VIP Harvey Eastwood. It also changed from Hoseasons to Blakes (a big deal in those days). Their last season on hire was 2001 I think, and the fleet was sold on.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I gather Harvey Eastwood died (though I don't know exactly when) so that would be why it was sold. I remember there being more of the AF Crystal 37's being in build in the sheds when we were on Santa Christina in 1985. They weren't a hugely popular design on the Broads but a lot were built for Ireland.

Around 1990, it was sold to Vivien Proctor and John Brown and the hirefleet was rebranded as VIP Harvey Eastwood. It also changed from Hoseasons to Blakes (a big deal in those days). Their last season on hire was 2001 I think, and the fleet was sold on.

That's a nice looking boat I haven't seen before. The styling looks like it wouldn't be out of place today. The top looks like GRP so there must be a mold somewhere?

Anyway, I think you mean Mr L.J. Eastwood died? My understanding is that a Mr Harvey joined up with Eastwood in 1970 just after my boat was built, which is why I'm wrong to refer to mine as a Harvey Eastwood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

That's a nice looking boat I haven't seen before. The styling looks like it wouldn't be out of place today. The top looks like GRP so there must be a mold somewhere?

Anyway, I think you mean Mr L.J. Eastwood died? My understanding is that a Mr Harvey joined up with Eastwood in 1970 just after my boat was built, which is why I'm wrong to refer to mine as a Harvey Eastwood.

They're a great-looking boat. Aquafibre Crystal 37, but they were being built for other fleets and for private customers as the Eastwood 37.

There's a fair few of them in Ireland as air draft is less of a concern on the Shannon-Erne system. Haines also built them as the Haines 37LS.

There's one left in hire with Richardsons https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/contessa/ - She's not quite as nice a fitout as an Eastwood but actually still a very nice boat to hire.

It's a very clever design that manages to fit a decent double cabin and a galley in under the flybridge so there is lots of room for a 37ft boat. And the hull appears to be based on the Broom 37 (but with less freeboard), so handling and fuel economy is excellent.

I didn't realise Harvey Eastwood was a partnership, but yes Mr Eastwood must be the one.

• Like 3

The moulds will have been cut up I'm afraid. Aquafibre ceased trading in 2009 and the site was mostly cleared.

The newer stuff was sold, but those which hadn't been used for a while were destroyed.

It's a great shame as that design with a few revisions such as another 2ft on the rear to incorporate steps / a bathing platform like on Sunway would make an excellent Broads boat for the present day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

I gather Harvey Eastwood died (though I don't know exactly when) so that would be why it was sold.

That was only one side of the partnership.  The Eastwood side transferred to Eastwood Whelpton at Upton.  The one who died would have been Simon Harvey.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oddfellow said:

I love my Crystal 37. Sadly, been too depressed this year to fix her and get out on her.  Looking very green currently. I really need to clean her before the temperatures drop. 

I remember viewing yours when she was at Woods. A very nice layout after they had refitted her, similar to the ones Ferry had in the 80's and extremely spacious without the third cabin.

• Like 1