Reedham Bridge Possible Disruption

Good afternoon all,

We have been informed by Network Rail that due to planned industrial action from the RMT Union there is potential disruption to Reedham Swing Bridge on the following dates:

• From Tuesday 13 December 06:00hrs to Thursday 15 December 06:00hrs

• From Friday 16 December 06:00hrs to Sunday 18 December 06:00hrs

• From Saturday 24 December (Christmas Eve) 18:00hrs to Tuesday 27 December 06:00hrs

• From Tuesday 3 January 06:00hrs to Thursday 5 January 06:00hrs

• From Friday 6 January 06:00hrs to Sunday 8 January 06:00hrs

Somerleyton Bridge will be unaffected and left open to navigation throughout.

Network Rail is committed to staffing the bridges on these dates, however due to the nature of the strikes, we cannot be certain whether normal operations will be affected or not. A pay offer to resolve this matter has been put to a referendum of RMT members, the outcome of which will be known on 12 December.

We therefore urge you to be aware of the potential for disruption if you were planning on navigating through Reedham Bridge on the above dates.

Network Rail has apologised for the potential impact of these closures on the boating community. We will issue an update if we receive any additional information.

Best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

• Like 1

Wasn’t there something a while back that Reedham can’t be left open when unattended even if there are no trains because the operator has to come back across the bridge to leave? Whereas the same isn’t true of Somerleyton so it can be left open. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Wasn’t there something a while back that Reedham can’t be left open when unattended even if there are no trains because the operator has to come back across the bridge to leave? Whereas the same isn’t true of Somerleyton so it can be left open. 

I believe that is correct. Back in the day apparently the bridge operator would open the bridge over night once trains had finished for the day and then row back across the river, rowing back in the morning before the first train was due to close the bridge. As you can imagine health and safety put paid to that one.

I also believe that Reedham and Somerleyton bridges do act as a pair as far as signaling is concerned. So if Somerleyton bridge is left open then there will be a Red signal before a train reaches Reedham bridge if heading to Lowestoft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/12/2022 at 16:08, Meantime said:

I believe that is correct. Back in the day apparently the bridge operator would open the bridge over night once trains had finished for the day and then row back across the river, rowing back in the morning before the first train was due to close the bridge. As you can imagine health and safety put paid to that one.

I also believe that Reedham and Somerleyton bridges do act as a pair as far as signaling is concerned. So if Somerleyton bridge is left open then there will be a Red signal before a train reaches Reedham bridge if heading to Lowestoft.

The signallers at both get the go ahead to open or close from the Signalling Centre at Colchester from where the branch lines have been controlled since the update a couple of years ago. I suspect they will be controlled direct from Colchester sometime in the future following the completion of equipment updating they already have CCTV cameras pointing up & down stream.  

• Thanks 1