Views On Bilge Paint

jezhickling

Happy New Year to you all, I would like to freshen up the bilge (a little flaking and general wear). Currently the bilge is painted with Danboline red bilge paint which has been discontinued, Danboline is now only available in grey or white which I don't particularly like. I would like to keep it the red and wonder what product you would recommend. I have read lots of different feeds and some say garage floor paint but I'm not so sure and don't want to cause any further issues. I have found that Teamac produce a red bilge paint, has any one used this. Would there be any problems in applying over the Danboline so maybe a primer first? Any advise on this subject very welcome. 

Kind regards

Jeremy

4 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

IMG_20230101_134834515_MFNR.thumb.jpg.133655b4385bd4879b7c365ce3b731ef.jpg

Cor, she's been doubled up! But no prayer books in sight - excellent!

On the subject of bilge paint, I always understood that the main quality of Danboline is that it is oil resistant and can be painted on to an oily surface.  Now that all boats have an oil drip tray under the engine (by law) we don't get the awful black oily bilges that we used to see in 60s.

So I wonder - is it sufficient, and maybe cheaper, to protect the wood with a couple of coats of decent primer followed by normal oil based paint?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Cor, she's been doubled up! But no prayer books in sight - excellent!

On the subject of bilge paint, I always understood that the main quality of Danboline is that it is oil resistant and can be painted on to an oily surface.  Now that all boats have an oil drip tray under the engine (by law) we don't get the awful black oily bilges that we used to see in 60s.

So I wonder - is it sufficient, and maybe cheaper, to protect the wood with a couple of coats of decent primer followed by normal oil based paint?

Not doubled up in the way you mean Vaughan.

This is a Martham 'Janet'. She was originally built with a stepped deck, as per most of Martham's fleet, and was subject to modernisation in the 70's where the front was cut down and a single level deck completed.

In the 2000's her then owner decided to reinstate her stepped deck but, of course, all the original ribs had been cut short. To overcome this, as you can see, a complete set of second ribs were installed between the originals to gain the new height required.

• Like 2