Hampton Safari

ExSurveyor

I have narrowed the new boat choice to a Safari MK11 or ideally a Siesta 20. The Siestas are like hens teeth.

Looked at a Safari today, it was under budget and sound but needed a lot of work, repaint, new galley.

The engine was a health hazard, a lot of smoke that didn't go even when it was warmed up. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had called the fire brigade.

I got out all my surveying gadgets, including the endescope and had a good check everywhere.

Under the rear berth I noticed this strange contraption, next to the water tank. I am guessing it is some kind of antiquated pump /  pressure vessel. Any ideas.

IMG_20230908_140647.jpg

IMG_20230908_140512.jpg

That's a good old Godwin pump. There were hundreds of those on hire boats in the 70s.

They work well but the only problem is that they are a turbine pump, rather than an impeller type.  They are similar in operation to the old Stuart Turner pumps.  Remember them?  The problem arises if you get a bit of air coming in from somewhere they will not prime themselves if the batteries are getting a bit low.

They work very well but you need to have the "Square D" pressure switch correctly adjusted.

• Thanks 1