Navigation Committee 1th Jan 2024

Bytheriver

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Except that the BA decided for themselves to increase the number of rangers long before the report was published. The report itself didn't actually tell them to do anything.

I repeat what I have said in other threads

Since 2020 there has not been a "similar incident in future" and I don't know of anything beforehand either.  It was a one-off accident and I cannot see, in my job experience, how an increase in rangers patrolling would have prevented it - or would have any effect whatever in preventing a hypothetical repitition.

The permanent staff at GY couldn't prevent it so there is not much chance of a mobile ranger being in the right place at the right time to prevent any occurrences out on the rivers or unmanned moorings, as for the survey the numbers quoted are hardly a meaningful sample of the total number of hires in a year.

Fred

• Like 3

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Does that mean that Bargate will effectively turn into a Rockland Broad over time so that mudweighting is no longer possible? 

Funnily enough, it was only when I "came back to the Broads" in 2017 that I found Surlingham Broad was navigable all over.

It was opened to the navigation by Blakes in the early 50s and from then on I had always known it as a buoyed channel across the centre, with a lot more sunken wherries than there are now.  So someone must have dredged it all out in the interim.  I remember that the broad and the dykes were also only navigable at high tide.

• Like 1

I have hired from Pacific Cruisers for many years and after the first couple never had a trial run.

Richard always went through the boat in detail but waived the trial run.

When we arrived in 2022 he apologised but stated we would have to have a full trial did to conditions imposed by his insurers.

No problem to us. Similarly we had a trial run in 2023.

They also insist on all crew wearing life jackets for the trial run.

Back again in July this year when I am sure we will have a trial run again 

Ray

• Like 3