Dinghy Davits

post-72-136713894492_thumb.pngAs we have nowhere on the marina to store our inflatable, I need to get some davits fitted to the boat. A couple of years ago, a guy came over and looked her over and his suggestion was that any stern davits would need braces because of the weight of our Seago which I think is 390Kg?

I have seen many boats with unbraced davits and would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on whether or not I'd get away with it.

Pic of stern attatched

I wouldnt, i would expect you to start getting star crazing where the davits are stressing the grp. If you have access then its not that difficult to glass in a GRP stiffening webs. then with an angled bracing plate on the underside you can bolt through your hull and put bolts through your web.

If the access is there to get to it then it shouldnt cost more than about £200 to bond in the webs 1 days work + materials.

Thanks for that advice!

As I said, I did get a local chappie to look at supplying and fitting and the price was around the £1500 mark which broke our budget at the time. This included stainless steel davits with braces and fitting.

Bung some Waver snap davits on the swim platform Jim, they are great, and keep the tender really stable whilst getting on and off, loading & unloading etc. Far more sitable than standard davits for a small boat and a lot less money. The only disadvantage is tou have to fit the outboard when you want to use it each time but as most times all you will want to do is row ashore from a mudweight we have never found it an issue + the O/B is always securely stored.

Sounds like a plan David! I will probably give you a bell this evening to check over what snap davits are best etc and the only problem is...I've lost your mobile number :wave

If you could pm it, that would be great

I too would recommend Weavers Jim ours have caused us no issues and allowed easy use of the tender rather than the clat of pumping it up each time you want to use it or storing the inflated tender on the coach roof

I can't add much to David's post except in the down position and attached to your ship they help make the tender a great emergency Fender when moored up :naughty:

Ours have been bounced about in all sorts of seas and touch wood we have not had an issue.

712750751_kPN5J-L.jpg

714064070_au4SJ-L.jpg

More info http://www.installation.snapdavit.co.uk/

Let me show my lack of knowledge as usual,

As I see it the snapdavits are small hinged arms that link the bathing platform to one side of the tender and you then pull it up onto the boat using lines attached to the other side much as I would do to put it on the transom of a rag and stick but with the advantage that the side at the bottom is firmly fixed to the boat as well the upper side being lashed on...

Am I right in that?

Martin

Thanks Guys,

They look like the ideal answer as I can just "hinge" up the dinghy onto the swim platform. Lifting it onto the cabin roof is difficult to do single handed and also makes it very dark as it covers the hatch.

At least then I won't get charged for mooring the dinghy as well as Topaz

Hi Jim

I have the Wetline snap davits fitted to Serenity. I know David and Perry will shake their heads :naughty: , but they are considerably cheaper http://www.piplers.co.uk/3711/Wetline-S ... S-kit.html . The pads that glue to the dinghy are pretty well identical, but the sliding section of the davit itself it plastic rather than stainless steel (you get what you pay for!), though the hook is metal of course. They also come complete with the quick-release slides. Obviously you pays your money and makes your choice, but I found the cost of the Weaver ones prohibitive.

Me either, whatever works for you Mark, I stood on one once and broke it so they are not for me. The main thing is to get the thing set up with the dingy in the water and all positioned nicely, marked out and only then fitted, follow the maker instructions to the letter when it comes to gluing the pads on or risk them coming off. The ones designed specially for the Walker Bay are a sight to behold and must weigh as much as the tender.

[attachment=0]Topaz Stern.png[/attachment]As we have nowhere on the marina to store our inflatable, I need to get some davits fitted to the boat. A couple of years ago, a guy came over and looked her over and his suggestion was that any stern davits would need braces because of the weight of our Seago which I think is 390Kg?

I have seen many boats with unbraced davits and would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on whether or not I'd get away with it.

Pic of stern attatched

Am I missing something an inflatable 390kg. Surely 39kg and no need to strengthen the stern. I remember Col had some nifty folding davits on HJ2.

Jonathan

Am I missing something an inflatable 390kg. Surely 39kg and no need to strengthen the stern. I remember Col had some nifty folding davits on HJ2.

Jonathan

If the grp isnt reinforced then just the weight of the davits unlaiden could be enough to stress the gel especialy if the boat leaves our very calm waters an bounces accross somthing more choppy.

Jonathan

My mistake! I Googled Seago 260 weight and didn't realise that the quoted figure was the max carrying weight :naughty: I'm not particulary good at estimating weight and it certainly feels heavy enough when moving around but having checked, the weight is around the 40Kg mark

Hi Jim

I have the Wetline snap davits fitted to Serenity. I know David and Perry will shake their heads :naughty: , but they are considerably cheaper http://www.piplers.co.uk/3711/Wetline-S ... S-kit.html . The pads that glue to the dinghy are pretty well identical, but the sliding section of the davit itself it plastic rather than stainless steel (you get what you pay for!), though the hook is metal of course. They also come complete with the quick-release slides. Obviously you pays your money and makes your choice, but I found the cost of the Weaver ones prohibitive.

It all depends on our finances when I decide which type to go for. As you say, The Weaver davits are not cheap but of course they come highly recommended

Thanks for the heads up though Mark as whenever I have searched snap davits, I always seem to find the most expensive ones :lol:

• 1 month later...

When finances permit (HMRC always want a slice) I'm going to go for the ones you recommended Mark.

I've never fitted a set of these fellas but one thing I am concerned about is the risk of the weight of the dinghy pushing down on to the davits which could puncture the PVC when it is raised up on the transom. Looking at the davit kits, it seems there are thick rubber pads which are fitted to the inflatable which would prevent this happening. Am I right?

The pads that glue to the dinghy are quite thick items, and obviously d ohelp reinforce the dinghy tube. The metal bar that fits into the pads is solid, and when the dinghy is lifted up, it's the metal bars that are held by the hook, so the hook itself doesn't really come into contact with the dinghy at all. As long as you keep the dinghy inflated properly so it doesn't sag, there should be no problem Jim.