Hi Folks

From some albums here at home, I dug out some photos of the Maclan and L'Aigle, as well as a few general scenes. Back then, it was a case of taking a shot and then figuring out what it was you'd taken. None of this digital m'larky. I just need a bit of help advising me how I can rotate the image so it is the correct way up in post - it's the right way up on my PC.

I would guess this will have been in the late '70s, around the time that Bristers moved from Brundall to Wroxham. I seem to remember that later on, Mike Brister erected a wet boatshed over this berth and extended his office alongside. Furthermore, the boat was later on moored on the same side as the bungalow, and it would no longer be possible to park the car adjacent to the boat. Much later on, all the sheds on the other side of the dyke were demolished to make way for housing.

MaclanEagleatBristercraftWroxham.thumb.jpeg.307c098ec17a5c574522d0f41ae1f7b4.jpegMaclanEagleatBristercraftWroxham(4).jpeg.thumb.jpeg.13550674e374830a8981959deb833b5d.jpeg

MaclanEagleatBristercraftWroxham(3).thumb.jpeg.e580c9530f7eac6edfbe4628fa836f3c.jpegMaclanEagleatBristercraftWroxham.jpeg.thumb.jpeg.5598a3cf5bfbccd2e17fd0c02e699775.jpeg

Here are some shots of the Maclan at Coltishall. Interestingly, someone recently posted a link to one of the houses in the picture that has come up for sale. No canoes in this pic!

MaclanEagleatColtishallapproxearly80s.jpeg(2).thumb.jpeg.8dfe6b9d3696a263943e85f769249462.jpeg

MaclanEagleatColtishallapproxearly80s.thumb.jpeg.cc34b44b4eef01889aa8da317f9bab63.jpeg

Maybe someone will recognise this mooring spot as I have no note about where it was taken.

MaclanEagleontheBroads.thumb.jpeg.ec69349deedd21db1ba99b436964caa5.jpeg

More to come, once I've sorted out the rotation issue.

• Like 5

The Maclan was a great starter boat, though with a BMW 130hp petrol engine, not entireley suitable. It slept 4 of us, and occasionally a fifth under the canopy on warm nights, but she had no hot water, no shower and being a deep-v hull she could rock sometimes, but we had some great times in her. We never took her under Potter Heigham bridge though, and dad was a bit reticent when it came to some of the shallower broads, such as Surlingham and Rockland, which was a pity as they were suitable for a weekend trip. Yare Dawn/L'Aigle was a more comfortable boat all round, but I've still a soft spot for the Maclan.

I think I've solved the rotation issue, and the attached is an experiment to see if it works. It's a shot of a rather lovely house that was at the entrance to the dyke where Mike's yard was. I think the Broom Continental was named "Whileaway". 

I will post photos of L'Aigle on this thread, but for more general photos, would it be best to add them to the section "Broads photos"?

Wroxham.jpg

• Like 6