Are All Vhf Radios Equal?

As the title.. are all VHF radios equal? 

I've just bought a new cobra HH350 hand held. 

Borrowed my dad's HH100 (that is to my knowledge 18 years old) to do a radio test. Despite both radios displaying all the same channel numbers not all work. 

They are both EU models.

Any advise or clues? Just want to know if I have a faulty radio. 

Thanks. 

Adam. 

Are they both set to international channel set? A lot of channels are duplex in that they transmit and receive on different frequencies where shore licenced sets are programmed opposite so you will hear a reply from a shore station but not from another boat radio but the shore can hear you.

Not all channels are for general usage so be careful which you go for, for general  ship to ship ch6 or 8 are the norm, broads bridges and GY are on ch12, mutford/oulton broad on ch73, NCI on ch65, routine CG traffic on ch67 and of course general calling on ch16, most marinas use ch80 which can show as m1 (or is it m2?) on some sets.

And if you don't want to sound a pillock do NOT use over and out together, it's over or out never both.

Are you aware you need an ofcom licence for the radio as well as the operators certificate, the radio licence can be done free on the ofcom website and will issue you an international call sign automatically and MMSI if it's a DSC licence you apply for, a handhelp should be a portable licence not a fixed ship licence, the operators cert is a short course and test.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Are they both set to international channel set? A lot of channels are duplex in that they transmit and receive on different frequencies where shore licenced sets are programmed opposite so you will hear a reply from a shore station but not from another boat radio but the shore can hear you.

Not all channels are for general usage so be careful which you go for, for general  ship to ship ch6 or 8 are the norm, broads bridges and GY are on ch12, mutford/oulton broad on ch73, NCI on ch65, routine CG traffic on ch67 and of course general calling on ch16, most marinas use ch80 which can show as m1 (or is it m2?) on some sets.

And if you don't want to sound a pillock do NOT use over and out together, it's over or out never both.

Are you aware you need an ofcom licence for the radio as well as the operators certificate, the radio licence can be done free on the ofcom website and will issue you an international call sign automatically and MMSI if it's a DSC licence you apply for, a handhelp should be a portable licence not a fixed ship licence, the operators cert is a short course and test.

Hi Smoggy. 

Yes I do have a certificate for the operation and use of a vhf. I did it about 18years ago when me, my dad and my brother used to launch speed boats from Hessle point on the humber. We thought it wise to have the tools and the knowledge to ask for help should anything go wrong. We were using the RNLI slipway under the bridge so we were actually I  view of the lifeboat station 75% of the time. 

This hand held vhf is the newest vhf I've had my hands on. So in sorts I feel like I'm learning from scratch again. So the point about shored based channels might explain why there is a display of 2 channel numbers on the screen sometimes 10 and 20 usually. (Not in dual watch setting)(or tripple watch as it says it has.) 

The point I was trying to ask was if I put both radios on 66 they don't transmit or receive to each other. But 67 they do. The 68 they don't? (Also in my tests I will point out they are both in low power setting and I don't think the coast will hear my tests from Sheffield.)

I will check the UIC settings on both when I get back home this evening. 

Thanks Adam.