Antifoul

Help! Now I've bought a boat you will probably find me screaming for help in here every 5 minutes so be prepared. :?

First question. How much Antifoul will I need to do a 20ft boat? 8-)

Normal coverage is about 8 - 10 sq m per litre Sue, I would estimate your bum to be about 6 sq m.(don't you dare anybody) To give 2 to 3 good coats therefore, 2.5l should do you nicely. BTW try to get a pressure wash as she is lifted whilst the current "beard" is still soaked or it will be the devil's own job when it dries. The type of antifouling will depend on where you propose to moor and the salinity present. if you are going to rub the old stuff and coat over it then do a small bit first to make sure the new stuff doesn't fight with the old stuff. Follow the instruction carefully with regard to safety and time to launch after coating. Hooded paper coveralls and irritant mask is the order of the day both during preparation and coating. Like painting anything, preperation is 90% of the job.

hi sue

one thing i would say is.........

MAKE SURE you get the right mask for the job and WEAR IT

a lot of the stuff youll be dealing with is poisonus and very iritant to the lungs

one of the problems i always had was that wareing a mask makes your goggles mist up :(

but a good mask is essential.

jill

Robin, if you aren't already commited I would reconsider, Flag product came out poorly in independant tests, anything claiming suitability for both fresh water and salt water in all the varying temperatures encountered in European waters is no being entirely frank. Antifoul needs to be matched to the salinity and general temperature to be really efficient.

Hi Antares_9, follys is the only boat we use antifoul on so thought we would try a cruising/freshwater antifoul, will now have to give it a try for this year as it arives tomorow.

one tip I was given was if you want to use red antifoul put a coat of blue on first then 2 coats of red, then when you can see the blue you know its time to do it again but you still have antifoul left on the hull.

Robin.

Used seajet emperor 38 last year, supposed to be a 2 year antifoul for fresh and salt how good it is I won't know till next week when it is lifted after a year although from what can be seen it looks to be doing a good job, get a small amount of slime which comes off easily at river speeds. Next year will tell the real story as the new marina is in the mix of both, fresh water fish in the marina and when netted a load of salt stuff from the river.

It wasn't cheap but what I liked was that you could paint the outdrives with it too and it did do very well in the Motor Boat Monthly tests.

If you have drives don't get it mixed up with the 37, that can't go near Aluminium.

What is the need to apply Antifoul on the Broads, I am sure that when I had our boat surveyed last year prior to purchase, the (well respected) surveyor told me not to bother with it unless I was keeping the boat in an area where there are mussels. Appreciate forum views please.

Ken

What is the need to apply Antifoul on the Broads, I am sure that when I had our boat surveyed last year prior to purchase, the (well respected) surveyor told me not to bother with it unless I was keeping the boat in an area where there are mussels. Appreciate forum views please.

Ken

I assume he was refering to the damage that may be caused by critters rather than actual fouling, and can see his point, however you can still get significant growth of weed which whilst not doing actual damage will reduce performance and increase consumption, if you are up some fetid dyke in the north I guess there will be little problem with marine critters but if you spend much time in the lower reaches then it is essential.

Sue,

Is the boat out of the water at the moment. If the job is going to involve a lift and then put back, it could be worth getting an estimate to have the whole job done. By the time you cost the crane and the materials you might find that there is not too much difference. It is in my opinin, although I have never done it, a filthy job and can use less than friendly paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Results are in on the Seajet Emperor 034 Antifoul after she was lifted last week. Despite being at Burgh Castle there was no marine criters, no barnicals and virtually no weed or slime.

It is not cheap but as a multi purpose antifoul it has definately done the job plus the big benifit for those with outdrives is that you can paint aluminium with it as well as it contains no copper. :trophy

Edit to change No. of antifould from 38 to 034.

I paid to have my anti-fouling done by Russell Marine before the boat was launched... to be honest, I was not sorry that I didn't have to do it. For me it would mean another long trip, fuel and time... let one having to do the work myself! I don't think the cost was prohibitive once you factor all that in.

I paid to have my anti-fouling done by Russell Marine before the boat was launched... to be honest, I was not sorry that I didn't have to do it. For me it would mean another long trip, fuel and time... let one having to do the work myself! I don't think the cost was prohibitive once you factor all that in.

And think of the carbon footprint saved Danny, you did the world a favour :naughty:

I am trying to work out if that is a compliment or not... and it's getting late... :oops:

Cogitate no longer Danny, it was neither complement nor derision, merely an observation that in not driving up to do that specific job you reduced your carbon footprint. :-D