We have heard of a Mobo so is this a Yogo!

pks1702

The Macgregor has been around for a while now, and is a real one-off design...

Rather than being suprised about being able to water-ski behind a motor-sailor

you might be more suprised by the ways that they have basically got a speedboat to sail...

There is no fixed keel and instead they use a retractable centerboard which enables you to beach it if required.

The other really strange concept to me is that they use water ballast...

You launch the boat and then fill the ballast tanks with water by letting the air out.

It makes for a fairly large yacht that it is still light enough to tow on a trailer.

I have never tried one out myself butI did come close to hiring one in Portugal at one stage.

http://loja.douro.biz/epages/270985.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/270985/Categories

The company that Iwas looking at hire motor yachts and sail yachts, but in fact they are all Macgregors,

the motor yachts just dont have the mast and sails fitted.

They've been around for a few years now, and are generally an object of derision on a number of sailing websites I frequent.

As you can imagine, they don't sail as well as a lot of dedicated sailing boats, but if you just want to sail for fun and aren't too concerned that sailing performance isn't stunning then that's not a problem.

To get them on the plane, you need to empty the water ballast tanks , and the rig provides a fair amount of air resistance and weight very high up for a planing motor boat.

Inside they have a lot of space, but not much in the way of hand hold or other things that might be useful if sailing in even moderately lumpy water.

Basically they're a compromise design, they do two different jobs moderately well instead of one job very well. This might be something you want in a boat, or it might not. Obviously some people do, as IIRC MacGregor stopped producing all of their other designs to concentrate on the 26X a few years ago.