Signing Off

Hi everyone,

Not a big issue, but may irritate forum members nonetheless.  I notice that when I have a look at the site to see what's going on, I find myself signed on.  I accept that I can close down without thinking, but the last two or three times I definitely signed off and when I come back to site I find I am signed on. Any ideas? Cue weird music from that programme, the title of which, I cannot thinks of!

Keith the Pommy B**stard!

Hi everyone,

Not a big issue, but may irritate forum members nonetheless.  I notice that when I have a look at the site to see what's going on, I find myself signed on.  I accept that I can close down without thinking, but the last two or three times I definitely signed off and when I come back to site I find I am signed on. Any ideas? Cue weird music from that programme, the title of which, I cannot thinks of!

Keith the Pommy B**stard!

As you say Keith, not a big issue, but it did concern me to.

It started to happen when the forum migrated to the new software.

Even if you don't tick "remember me", and carefully log off, you find you are automatically logged on next time you visit.

I've found that the only way to avoid that is to never tick the "I accept cookies" banner at the top of the page.

That still allows you to log in and post, but you can then successfully log out when you want to, with no automatic login when you return.  

To "undo" the "I accept Cookies" confirmation, you need to get into your browser's cookie management and delete any from "thenorfolkbroads.net".

That's broadly correct, yeah. There's very little need to log out, though... 

Quite a big need though if you're using a shared computer, or even somewhere like a Public Library.

I access the forum via four different PCs, running Windows 7 and Windows XP, using Opera and Firefox browsers.

I get the persistent auto login whenever I "accept the use of cookies" and then log in.

When I click logout, it appears to work, but then when I close and re-open the browser and revisit the site, I am automatically logged in.

The only way I've found to stop that on any of my machines is to delete all of the cookies for "thenorfolkbroads.net", and then never click "accept the use of cookies".

If anyone is accessing the NBN from a Publicly accessible or shared computer, then you should be very careful to not click the "I accept the use of cookies" top banner. If you do, and then login, the next person visiting the forum from that PC will be automatically logged in as you, even if you are careful to log out when you exit.

Have you tried clearing the cache when you log out?

I very rarely clear the cache globally because I have a very slow Broadband connection, and then all the other websites that I visit would initially take so much longer to reload all of their graphics etc..

I will give it a try on one of my lesser used test PCs later on, but I can't see how it would solve the persistence problem. The cause is one of the cookies, being checked when anyone revisits the site, and logging them in automatically,

The user profile settings don't appear to have an option for toggling auto login ? (although I may have missed it !  :) )

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to find anywhere on my profile or settings to specifically switch off "auto login". Can anyone please tell me where it is in the user settings pages ?

Aside from the "sign out" link on the top right hand corner, there doesn't seem to be a user setting anywhere to specifically disable auto login, (and when you do "sign out", it still logs you back in automatically on the next visit).

I've managed to get round it up to now by not clicking the "accept cookies" header, but now the site is sending them to me anyway. Even when I manually delete them for "thenorfolkbroads.net" I still find I am automatically logged in when I next open the browser and go to this site.

It can only be doing it by remembering the IP address that I'm using at the time, and I'd rather it didn't.

Thanks for looking John, I'm relieved it wasn't just me being "senior" again...  :)

Is it possible that it has been disabled in the forum settings ?  Surely it must normally be a standard facility in proprietary forum software ? It would otherwise make it very insecure from Internet Cafes and Libraries etc..

The only fix I can think of at my end is by disabling cookies completely in the browser, but then I wouldn't be able to login from that PC if I ever wanted to log in and post something.

I think it would pay if we all remembered your excellent advice above:

"If anyone is accessing the NBN from a Publicly accessible or shared computer, then you should be very careful to not click the "I accept the use of cookies" top banner. If you do, and then login, the next person visiting the forum from that PC will be automatically logged in as you, even if you are careful to log out when you exit."

I have never pressed the button to accept cookies, equally I have never had the login problem that others mention, as far as I know not accepting the cookies has never caused me a problem posting.

I'm afraid the way that cookies work is is complicated situation to explain.

You can login and post on the site without ever clicking the "accept cookies" link in the header page.

However, if you get into your Browser software's settings and switch off all cookies in there, then you can't participate in any active websites requiring login to ascertain your identity.

The site now seems to be setting cookies even if you don't click the  "accept cookies" button.

I know most sites seem to load a lot of rubbish onto your system, I do run cCleaner everyday to delete all that so it could be that helps, also I have Trusteer Rapport which does activate anti-keystroke logging which could help. If I remember I'll ask my son he's a little more computer savvy than me.

It looks as though I'll have to assume that there is no way to specifically disable auto login in a user profile.

With a variety of different operating systems and browsers the most common default when revisiting the site seems to be auto login using the previous visitor's ID.

Probably best to never login via any one else's or any public access computers.

I don't know how worried people are by this but I've found a way to stop the auto login if your on someone else's computer,

after shutting down your browser open task manager, right click on your explorer and end task, next time you open the NBO your not logged in anymore.

hopefully that might make sense to someone but regardless it works.