East Coast Diary

Thanks Simon,

The shots are there to add a bit of colour all taken with a P&S many 'on the fly' so I don't claim them to be up to Photography Group standards but as you say they help tell a story.

The big Maersk had already docked on Saturday so I did not get any Video of that but plenty of our travels.

Rod

I would have though a sea going boat might just be too much like the day job...

You are of course right about the weather Rod but as David has aluded we have many outline plans and plenty of back up and always seem to end up working something out that allows us to have an enjoyable break. We might have the weather to content with but we don't have the worry of errant hire boats dinging our pride and joy ;)

Thanks for the kind offer Rod I did not give it a thought and would not have even if I had. I would happily have given you the donation to your Beer voucher fund as the cost would have given you a few good nights out cheersbar

Thanks for the info on Maersk that explains why our containers that were on certain routes and went into Southampton go into Felixstowe now.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have some video I will put up over the next few days unfortunately because of the size it will have to be in at least three bits.

In the meantime here is a real pro on his travels freelance but often commissioned by the BBC Dylan Winter.

Heybridge & Maldon if only I could be that good :cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ovwvSXT5U&feature=PlayList&p=D055BFAC6E7B8B06&index=44

And West Mersea.

Some of the smack's moored inshore here I got racing at Heybridge Regatta

You do have to excuse Dylan though he has an aversion to anything that does not have a sail and at the sight of a Motorboat he bristles. I can only assume he was accosted by a Broom owner with an Estuary accent when he was a boy ;):naughty:

Edited for spelling error

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4V9HcDvi0&feature=PlayList&p=D055BFAC6E7B8B06&index=48

As outlined this will have to be uploaded in at least three parts, sorry I also have not worked out how to embed the video :cry

This is the first go at anything meaningful with this video camera and on review I can see a truck load of errors.... Panning too quickly, over use of zoom, inability to hold the camera still etc etc. It is also the first time I have used the editing software so please excuse the odd glitch here and there.

Anyway it might be of vague interest to some; later parts have a bit more boat action. You might note exiting Bradwell (certainly David will) that I took the 'outside the channel' route :naughty: mind you at high water you can :grin:

There is a button at the bottom right of the video to increase the size which should not affect the quality as it has been rendered to a good resolution. You may need to leave it in a background window to load.

If anyone can embed feel free.

http://www.vimeo.com/6022800

I would think he did have his own Kettle but was a little taken aback by being aground.

David was doing the decent thing and making sure he was OK. I think he was confused though as immediately after accepting the offer of Tea he promptly popped the top off a bottle of beer :shock:

Not sure I would have done that until safely tied up.

Edit for grammatical error

Rod all a bit tongue in cheek; time is money to you guys the 'speed' of pilot launches is a bit of fun, jokes abound at them travelling at one speed - flat out :grin:

The point you make about wash at displacement speed and just above is of course correct.

Speed on the run back was circa 15 knots it was so nice why hurry ;)

Part 4 attached with your 'taxi'.

Thanks Jill

Part 4

http://www.vimeo.com/6038706

Serioulsy

Is there a speed restriction for pleasure vessels transiting the harbour?

Rod

There's a speed limit for EVERYBODYin the harbur Rod, 8kts then 6 upstream, apart from the de retricted ski zone outside Levington.

:naughty::naughty:

Thanks Rod,

Bags of shooting mistakes but I have learned from this one and the next one will hopefully be better.

Bouncing about on the sea is probably not the best way to get decent footage but if it finds a bit of interest here then so be it.

I have a tripod with a 'man size' suction cup mounted on the dash but it needs to be higher as running at speed the bow attitude means you get a lovely shot of the sky!! I was concentrating on the sea conditions on the way down to the Blackwater I forgot to take any footage of the conditions we had; mind you I'm not sure how interesting sky, wave trough, sky wave, trough would have been.

Yes as David says 8 knots in the harbour but we all know the Pilot Launches run with speed exempt plates :lol::lol::lol:

Just re read my reply, and hope it's not interpreted as a complaint, those guys have a crust to earn, places to be, ships to meet and we are only out there to play so it's up to us be able to cope with a little bit of wash otherwise we shouldn't be out there, we are not on Ranworth after all. Anyway, I quite like it. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend saw a trip to Woodbridge as the tides were very kind. Saturday saw very benign conditions with SW 2 ish and forecast coming back was F4-5 SSW.

Crossed the Deben Bar just about half flood without incident, had a gentle run up and arrived at Tide Mill around 1.5 hrs before high water. Harbour Master advised us to pick up a waiting buoy outside the Marina as he needed to clear some vessels with not enough water before we could enter. Picking up a buoy in the strong flood should have been a doddle but after giving David & Rachel some laughs we picked one up at the second attempt. Normal form for visiting Moor Boats seemed to be in order here as we were asked to raft to a Grand Banks with Kingfisher alongside us. Had a wander around Woodbridge while the crew of Kingfisher had an explore in their tender up river and then searching for Sutton Hoo.

The evening saw us making use of the excellent BBQ area at Tide Mill which has BBQ's and Picnic Tables all very enjoyable as the breeze dropped and the amount of Charcoal David had put into the BBQ mean the heat kept us warm as the sun went down and so did the temperature.

King Head - Scene of Ian (Senator's) Furnace like Lasagne

629068318_sguye-L.jpg

Rear of Woodbridge Town Hall

629070186_S25K7-L.jpg

Amazingly Green Tree

629072557_StJ3x-L.jpg

BBQ Time

547748418_EbCwv-L.jpg

Some very big tides this weekend and although outside of Tidemill Marina largely dries Saturday evening's low tide saw virtually the whole Woodbridge vista a sea of mud Sunday was still low but as usual night tides being higher/lower than day tides

No Water

629075511_6ZMvh-L.jpg