East Coast Diary

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now those are seriously shiny, will be printing them out to show my father so he knows what is expected of him.

Perry, how long were you on Aluminium in Shotley? they seem to have worked very nicely.

Jonny, Anodes for mine are around £120 changed anually, legs that they are protecting are around £4000 each so it makes sense not to scrimp and try and push 2 seasons.

Ian

Perry, how long were you on Aluminium in Shotley? they seem to have worked very nicely.

I changed them last at Goodchild in late 2007 from memory, so about 18 months Ian (too long really). They are fine for occasional forays to sea but when full time at sea Zinc are probably a better bet.

Not sure if you saw but I left you a bit of information earlier (Page 16) in answer to your Deben mooring and access question

Not a weekend to be getting out anywhere serious with Easterly winds 4-5 gusting 6 although the Stour or Orwell were fine. Settled in to catching up on a few jobs and surveying the fitting of a new helm pump. David & Rachel on Kingfisher were due to go on club trip to Brightlingsea, West Mersea, Bradwell etc for this next week but even some of the yachts did not go on Saturday morning. They were patiently checking weather etc but it was clear given that they needed to arrive around high tide that this morning was the best weather window.

Guess who I just spotted :grin:

Have a good trip guys.

post-79-136713531676_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713531682_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713531687_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713531692_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Although the weather on the East Coast was not as good as further west we had a most enjoyable weekend.

Saturday saw David putting his mechanical problem solving to the test in an effort to make work some less than ideal hose tails for my new Racor Primary Filter (see earlier in this thread why I needed to change from the Separ fitted) this meant a trip to the Chandlers but when that fix was not satisfactory off to Pirtek. What a great find these guys are (in most major locations countrywide) they took a pride in wanting to resolve the problem is the most elegant way possible. Upshot was an excellent solution was found and the bill..... a tenner :o At most Chandlers it would be three times that.

The tides for a run were better late in the day so our Technical Mod decided to show me how to fit a new Primary Filter

Including routing the supply for the Webasto :bow:bow

I think I will get my fuel supply module of my apprenticeship now signed off but stock control of Hose Clips need improving :grin: Fantastic job and any niggling doubts about the ease of changing filters at sea if required gone.

The weather got more grim with some heavy rain and a cool northerly in the afternoon so a run was postponed until Sunday and an impromptu BBQ was the order instead once the rain had cleared.

On Sunday it was time to test the filter and give Kiki a run after being out of the water for a week. A 4 hour run out in the company of Kingfisher saw us get down to Frinton/Clacton. Kiki's speed is back after her bottom scrubbing and prop polishing

a most enjoyable run was rounded off with a potter up to Pin Mill.

post-79-13671353794_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We anchored OK after David had changed from a Brittany Pattern to a Plough I had changed my Danforth for a Delta both changed Anchors performed admirably in the fresh sea breeze averaging 12-14 knots.

Kinfisher

583670323_vEq6J-L.jpg

Kiki

583671532_94cNA-L.jpg

Our new made up Anchor Snubbers worked a treat

583674031_aYSJQ-L.jpg

Peaceful

583674985_T3HDj-L.jpg

The sun cooled by the breeze was very deceiving and by the end of the day we knew it had been sunny.

We dined on Kiki in the evening and took in the peace and tranquillity watching a super sunset

583677121_rZRsG-L.jpg

Quite unusual sky (best I could do with a P&S on Hi ISO)

583678140_9ZtMg-L.jpg

How I wished I had taken my SLR if only to do justice to this one

583679001_27tUq-L.jpg

Dawn 04.15am

583679897_4WFgE-L.jpg

At around 5.00am on Sunday the wind increased to 20knots and with a mud bank as a lee shore 100meters away I watched out to confirm our anchor would hold as we yawed on the wind. I shouldn't have worried the Delta was rock solid. It poured with rain the wind continued until 7.00am when the sky started to appear and the wind dropped and another very pleasant day arrived.

The sun starts to shine on the righteous :naughty:

583680524_9Bzqj-L.jpg

Altogether a 'proper' boating weekend

The sun shines on the righteous

What a photo, fantastic, I like it.

cheersbar

With my heathen ways I would have expected a thunderbolt rather than that Geoff, but you’re right it does make a lovely picture.

Perry, cracking pictures, the sunset and sunrise pics the best of the bunch. In fact I was surprised when you said you did not have the SLR with you - proof if ever any was needed that good photographs are are 10% equipment and 90% photographer.

Thanks all for you compliments.

I really should take the SLR but have to admit after taking a Canon AE1 to sea many years ago that expired due to internal corrosion that I am a little paranoid.

I do find for quick snaps particularly while helming the Ixus P&S is very handy. It has some limited manual settings but not enough to be any good in more challenging light or conditions but is often the difference between getting a snap for this thread and not.

Perhaps I should start taking both ;)

Antares_9 wrote:

I'm still waiting for the forward facing video camera footage Perry. :grin:

I have a mini tripod sourced but funnily I was going to pick your technical brain this weekend on a way of fixing it to shelf facing the front screen securely enough to capture underway.

HD video Footage could be potentially interesting :o