• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found a bit of Wi-Fi at last.

Presently at Heybridge Basin http://www.itsaboutmaldon.co.uk/basin/

Have spent some time in the Blackwater after a delayed start to our holiday due to strong winds.

We aborted attempts to get around to London as the weather windows back just are not there but have had a great time down here. Up to West Mersea shortly and the Company Shed http://www.west-mersea.co.uk/Mersea_Isl ... y_Shed.htm then back up the Deben to Woodbridge.

Photos when I get back

A fortnight with an outline plan to get up to the Upper Thames then back to Limehouse to meet our Yacht club and back up the East Coast. Regrettably the weather gods decided once again to not allow this... don't book a fortnight when we do :cry

Our intention was to make a run down to Bradwell; after waiting at Shotley until Tuesday morning (due to the wind) we went down to the fuel pontoon fuelled up and by the time this was completed the wind had really gotton up so back to our berths and await the afternoon weather window which appeared on cue around 14.30. A lumpy ride down turned decidedly snotty at the notorious Wallet as the wind increased again from the South, fortunately we did not have too far to run to our destination Bradwell on the Blackwater.

Photos attached - as ever a Point and squirt advisory is in force on these images.

609936952_7GQ52-XL.jpg

610499078_FyFn9-XL.jpg

Bradwell Creek

610504041_3dQbf-XL.jpg

609939942_LqsjC-XL.jpg

Marina Offices

610511337_NQ2iA-XL.jpg

Anyone who knows about boat fishing will know this guy who has been based at Bradwell for years - John Rawle - http://www.johnrawlefishing.co.uk/

610507185_bLWXL-XL.jpg

610506242_7HtQp-XL.jpg

Bradwell's most famous landmark

610871821_2xW6k-XL.jpg

Thanks Andy no issues with the 'Leccy' :naughty:

cheers Jonny.

Later that evening we were off to Bradwells best watering hole The Green Man what a find this place is in such a small community the food was excellent and Local Dengie Bitter superb. There are a myriad of micro breweries in this off the beaten track area indeed going up and down the Blackwater the smell of hops abounds.

A few examples cheers

http://www.crouch-vale.co.uk/

http://www.maldonbrewing.co.uk/

http://www.merseawine.com/brewery.htm

http://www.mightyoakbrewery.co.uk/

http://www.saffronbrewery.co.uk/saffron-ales

http://www.mauldons.co.uk/index.html

I digress back to The Green Man.... it was here I found my wallet was not with me and recalling the Grey matter gave me the dawning realisation that I had inadvertently left it in the boot of my car at Shotley while unloading :cry Nothing for it but to go and fetch it the next morning but with no means of transport other than the public variety and a very kind offer from Peter the out of hours harbour master who ran me to Southminster Station I proceeded on a 7 hour round trip on numerous trains and taxis for 30 seconds at Shotley and then back. It is a good job it was blowing a hoolie and there was never any intention of us moving from Bradwell - lessons learned.

The weather was still not playing ball on the wind front so we decided to try to get into Heybridge Basin which is the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Canal entrance. Rachel while I was testing Essex & Suffolks transport system had phoned Heybridge only to be told that they were full due to The Heybridge Regatta.

I returned to Bradwell having a well earned beer on the back of Kiki, the tide was about 4 hours into the ebb when a large yacht came past and stopped... stuck fast on the bottom. Despite revving ahead and astern and trying to winch him off from a line to the pontoon about 17 tonnes of yacht had no intention of moving. It did however extend David's throw lines by about two feet due to the pressure on it :P

610508201_f8E3N-XL.jpg

610512618_UmwvQ-XL.jpg

It does get low

610509218_T34zS-XL.jpg

As the Skipper had been left single handed waiting for his yacht to re float we agreed we would go for an early dinner and be back to give him a hand.

We stood by and eventually he refloated and we manhandled his yacht back in to the hammerhead while the motor boat inside slipped out (just) and rafted outside as they were leaving at 0430. Said Yacht skipper was very grateful brought over a bottle of wine and during the conversation asked where we were headed. We explained Heybridge but they were full wheron he said the Canal Manager was his brother and if we wanted to still go he would have a word with him in the morning. As good as his word he did and we were in the next morning.

A Happy Yacht Skipper Motors into the sunrise

610514157_SPxCg-XL.jpg

The next morning with a stiff south west wind we headed down to Heybridge even on the Blackwater the wind over tide was giving a very short chop, nothing to worry about but the wave intervals were that short it was like driving over large rumble strips.

As we arrived at Heybridge on cue it started to rain but the good news was the lock was just emptying so we had no waiting. The lock only opens around high tide in 'normal hours' meaning that if the tide in after 9.00 there is likely to only be one lock a day.

Locking in the Rain

610515358_ocPR3-L.jpg

From outside

610909311_rS3ME-L.jpg

No automatic lock gates here..... if you moor in the basin it is a 'tradition' you help at locking time

610886058_32zGc-L.jpg

Heybridge Basin is at the head of the Chelmer & Blackwater Canal

Heybridge Basin is the start of the Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation to which it owes its existence. It was here that the Colliers' barges unloaded for the journey inland. Construction of the 13 mile canal to Chelmsford commenced in 1793 under the general direction of John Rennie.

The Heybridge basin was dug out at the sea end of the navigation to allow lighters to enter the canal via the sea lock for the unloading of their cargos for transportation inland. The stretch of canal between the Basin and Beeleigh was cut out by hand to bypass Maldon because the town opposed the building of the canal fearing loss of trade in the port.

610914100_a3N85-M.jpg

Moored at last

610898836_S257K-M.jpg

610912721_Pax4r-M.jpg

Our yacht friend had managed to get us in for one night only due to the Heybridge Regatta but a gentle word with the lock manager who had now returned from holiday and been very flexible where he put us saw us moving just out of the basin and onto the head of the canal. The forecast still looked grim from a wind perspective so it was here that we decided to scrub London and have some time on the Blackwater.

Canal Manager with his 'fishing' catch

610887208_5got8-M.jpg

610889997_xdUaP-M.jpg

Heybridge Basin had one very good pub The Old Ship and another which was OK but the Barman must have been auditioning for a part in Eastenders :) There were no real shops before Heybridge itself and Maldon a bit further on.

I am not normally a fan of Mr Tesco but I have to say the local store was very helpful allowing a trip up the canal in the tenders to the Tesco Landing stage to revital :clap

The Old Ship

610903336_8pjVW-L.jpg

610894317_3SkXu-L.jpg

610897701_j8cF5-L.jpg

Tender Park

610895682_7cDgG-L.jpg

The weekend saw the Heybridge Regatta which is a big weekend for the area with numerous classes of old yachts racing but it is the smack racing that everyone flocks to see. The weather was perfect sunny but with a stiff breeze, it was quite a sight to see these old smacks racing.

One of the 'Characters' of Heybridge is Nigel (or Windy Miller as we renamed him) he helps out with the lock and has not missed one in 10 years. The sound of him cranking the lock took me back to my childhood and Trumpton.

No entry

610906436_aveGv-L.jpg

I wonder why!... note the traditional port hand channel markers :)

610907836_gcFSc-L.jpg

Limbering up for the Regatta

610915426_QENvM-M.jpg

Exodus before the smacks arrive

610916566_kPzDw-L.jpg

Windy Miller doing his stuff

610918869_WuQSW-L.jpg

610917561_gsXAZ-L.jpg

It rained briefly the next morning before brightening up

610969365_9Ech6-L.jpg

A trip into Maldon showed this to be a rather quaint place

Maldon Moot Hall

610950171_HUTRz-L.jpg

610952067_zLwvr-L.jpg

Maldon Waterfront

610953597_eKeDx-L.jpg

An escapee from my birthplace :grin:

610955241_LMtf9-M.jpg

A thoroughly enjoyable extended unplanned stay in Heybridge but it was time to leave. To cut down the time locking out early in the morning the lock manager asked if we would not mind locking in the night before. This left us with a rather surreal night in the lock!

By way of a coincidence the yacht next to us in the lock was our 'neighbour' from Shotley.

610970887_ZtgC7-L.jpg

We headed off with a back up plan of Bradwell but to poke our noses out of the end of the Blackwater to see how it looked the tide was ebbing and we had not reached Bench before it was clear that a trip back towards home base was not on. The previous days Southerly might have died down but the residual was still circa 1.5 meteres at 2-3 seconds interval so it was back to Bradwell and The Green Man - what a shame cheers

A pleasant day in Bradwell catching up on a few jobs. We already knew that we were going no where the next day as a deep low was pushing in with gale force 7-8 southerly winds. The best window would be Friday when the low had pushed through and turned any wind westerly.

Thursday was someones Birthday

610973795_QnFbm-M.jpg

When one engine is not enough get two when two is not enough... :o

610974493_gr8Bs-M.jpg

Early Friday saw us slipping our lines in Bradwell and heading out to the mouth of the Blackwater to see if the residual from yesterdays gale had died down. It had and we had a super run back up the coast to Harwich. Rather than going back into Shotley which would feel as if our holiday had finished we carried on to Ipswich.

Bit bigger than hire boats to dodge

610976857_e6Y5M-M.jpg

Ipswich Haven

610983514_Uh7pk-M.jpg

Ipswich Waterfront

610980448_AyuVC-M.jpg

610982383_ew3Ks-M.jpg

Had a nice surprise on Saturday night when Ian & Liz joined us for an impromptu dinner on the back of Kiki; thanks to Rachel's culinary skills the meal was excellent and the company good.

610984578_XsQNu-L.jpg

All good things must come to an end and Sunday saw us heading back to Shotley, where did two weeks go?

Beneteau East Coast Power Boat Representative on a recruitment drive ;)

610986063_d2FUv-M.jpg

Exiting Ipswich Ship Lock

610987498_GMjeM-M.jpg

Orwell Bridge

610989347_5mpvi-M.jpg

Giving Way.....

610991386_jWbzR-M.jpg

The ship was the Maersk Adrien but on Saturday this monster arrived

According to the blurb She is the largest container ship built to date and is 398 metres long

http://www.emma-maersk.info/emma-maersk-pictures.htm

I have around an hour of video from our two weeks which I need to edit but if there is anything of interest I will post it up if folks are interested. I'm not sure how well my dash mounted camera will have worked underway but I will have a look.

Those are Perry and my tenders Simon, we had guard duty whilst T & R collected provisions in Tesco :grin:

Ah, glad to see you weren't conforming to stereo type then - letting Tina and Rachel do the shopping. :naughty:

All good stuff Perry, I am grateful to the time and effort taken to keep this thread up to date and I, for one, have enjoyed reading it and looking at the pics (them speaking a thousand words and wot not). Look forward to seeing the footage of the Mersk Monster.

I presume that old Grey Funnel Line is fisheries protection.... or was?

You are certainly right about the plans B,C, through to Z Rod, poor Rachel seemed glued to her blackberry getting weather updates early in the holiday but as soon as the decision not to go to Limehouse was made the pressure was off and I believe we all began to enjoy it a lot more. Me. I prefer to poke my nose out and if I like it I’ll go if I don’t like it I won’t. Boating is so much more relaxing when you are relaxed about it.