Pubs on the Medway

Gracie

We are taking family out on the Boat over Easter and would like to take them for a nice lunch and a few drinks, apart from The Anchor at Yalding and The Malta Inn at Allington we wondered if there were any pubs or restaurants within easy walking distance from the upper reaches of the river?

I know that Alan (JawsOrca) and Mark (Psychicsurveyor) have Boats on the Medway so maybe they have some ideas.

Sorry not Broads related so hope I have posted in the right section.

Grace

Gracie.  When we were moored at East Farleigh some years ago our local was the Victory Inn which is just past the railway station and a few minutes walk from the river.  In those days they served good food and great beer!!  Not been there for a number of years so cannot comment on what its like now!  Enjoy.  Regards Alan.   cheersbar  :wave

• Like 1

Grace, as I said its been quite a few years since we were on the Medway (bloody locks!) and we were actually moored at Bridge Boatyard there.  At that time I don't recall there being any public moorings but Dave Paine who had the yard at the time would let you moor there for a 'consideration' if there was a space available!!  Might be worth giving the yard a ring?  The other place to consider is the town quay in Maidstone, lots of pubs near there!  Regards Alan  cheersbar  :wave

Grace. I seem to remember Sluice Weir lock up from Yalding twds Tonbridge was the most off putting-its a real biggy, but as you get twds Tonbridge they are not too bad.  We found the biggest problem were the boats that just followed you and pulled in behind and didn't offer any help, used to make me quite stroppy at times!! Regards Alan.  cheersbar  :wave

Alan, I think I know the one you mean we have a friend of a friend who fell in at that lock, to make matters worse it was a hot day and people were enjoying the weather watching the boats go through the lock, luckily he wasn't hurt but extremely embarrassed. I think that's probably the reason I hide in the cabin ha ha.

Grace

• Like 1

Alan (Ranworth Breeze), I will  come out of the cabin when we are safely through the locks, but will probably have to have a glass or two of wine to steady my nerves and just watching those boys work the lock is exhausting  :naughty:

Grace

Sorry Grace, I've only just spotted this. I hope you are having a good weekend though.

The malta inn is the firm favourite (with everyone!), as you probably know theres a semi waterside one at yalding (which is a bit rough though :( ), I think there's a restaurant now at wateringbury and the odd pub up the hill. As others mention Maidstone has everything and anything. If you can get to tonbridge I understand there's a few there (we never made it as they has a lock shut when we tried).  We have also never been into any pubs up there though except the Malta Inn, so I can't personally recommend any.  Next time though come down to Rochester as theres some nice pubs here though (There's even a free secure overnight public pier!. Upnor is worth a visit (by car) there's a really nice pub by the castle.  Medway council and EA are useless at providing facilities for boaters, there's now no public facilities for sailboats on the medway! 

With regards to moorings, just use the landings by the locks, although we aren't ment to moor here, there's no alternative really, just don't stay long or take the whole thing up as other boaters may get rude Ialthough not many cruise about).  Take a look at this link too.. the EA do a really good map.. https://www.gov.uk/river-medway-bridges-locks-and-facilities-for-boaters#map-of-the-medway

I'm not sure if you have worked this out already but get a spring line (long mooring line), tie it to the cleat on the bow and bring back down to cockpit (via a midships cleat and the side decks) then whoever is driving can hold the bow in from the cockpit without too much stress (also slowly open the lock gate on the opposite side where the boat is as that holds the bow against the lock... makes it a bit easier to handle too...Also you need gloves for the chains as I suspect you may already have noticed!! We are soo lucky we don't have locks on the broads!

Let us know how you get on though (pictures too!) as its been some years since we were up there by boat and the plan is to be up there for easter next year.

• Like 1

Hi Alan (JawsOrca)

Things did'nt go according to plan regarding cruising unfortunately, but ended up at the semi waterside one as you described, as it wasn't too far from the marina and bloody hell we should have taken body guards in with us. My husband is a 3rd Dan Black belt in Shotokan Karate and he felt intimidated lol

The Malta Inn is lovely we went there a couple of years ago by car, hopefully if things go according to plan next time we will give it a go.

Thank you for great advice regarding Moorings and the locks, very helpful, we went through the lock just before THAT pub and had a good laugh if I am honest, I actually came out of the cabin  :shocked

Grace

• Like 1

Hi Grace,

Shame to hear you didn't have a brilliant time although good to hear you are out and about.. when you get to norfolk again.. breydon will seem like nothing!

The medway can clearly have no comparison for the broads and no where is going to come close to the broads pubs!  But certainly keep to the malta inn! (Its a long day from yalding though so drink lots of lucozade! 

Best regards, Alan

• Like 1

Hi Grace, only just logged on as I am on the Broads  :D . Riverside pubs are in short supply on the Medway.. We take our pub with us..... Might be worth joining one of the Medway cruising clubs, Hampstead and yalding cc and east farliegh cc both have land at wateringbury for members to moor on..

• Like 2