Narrowboats versus broads boats

I've never done any canals as yet, but we are hoping to remedy that next year after a chat with some like-minded friends. The biggest problem seems to be deciding where to go, as the network is so extensive. We'd like some locks (not hundreds) and a lot of pretty countryside interspersed with interesting features like aqueducts or tunnels.

Any suggestions?

Hi Mark,

So, does that mean the Kennett and Avon is out then?.  It`s good excersise doing a total of 24 locks, 16 all in one flight at Devizes, i know, as Karen and i found it daunting enough just walking it, and even then we gave up halfway.

Hi everyone, we went to sawley on sunday afternoon and spent a few hours at the marina. We managed to persuade one of the hire companies to show us round a narrow boat that wasn't out. It had everything you could need but it really was 'narrow'! It was a 6 berth and a little dated but laid out well. We will give it a go next year as they say don't knock it until you've tried it. I envisage that we will fall over the dogs a few times during the week though as in some sections of the boat there was only room for one to walk through.

Had a look round the boats for sale section where there were boats of all types for sale. If only! There were a couple of river cruiser type boats that were very nice.

The hire boat chap rolled his eyes when we said we had only holidayed on the broads before!!!

Very nice day, ice cream by the canal, hot sunshine and plenty of boats going by.

X

• Like 2

Hi Mandy,

A word of warning, the first time we went on a narrow boat holiday we thought it would be an idea to hire two bicycles, our reasoning for this was so if we had to go shopping for the odd item two people could venture further away from the canal to get to any shops.

The plan was sound but in practice the bikes were a pain, if we went out for the evening for a meal then the bikes were locked inside the boat at night the same.

During the day out came the bikes which were put onto the roof, of course as you have all guessed down came the bikes at every bridge and there is so many on the Trent & Mersey Canal.

By the end of the week we had mussels like Garth, grazed chins and hardly any cloths left without grease on them.

Never again.

Regards

Alan

Have been reading this thread with some interest and am thinking of sticking my toe in the water by hiring a day boat and travelling from Llangollen Wharf through to a place called Froncysyllte.  It is £120 a pop weekdays or £175 weekends and Bank Holidays.  The boats take 10 people, we would go with four or maybe six.

Hi back Alan,

I have seen a reference to that site, but I want to have a goo at driving it meself!!

This for anyone else thinking of doing likewise is the website I have just been looking at, they also offer horse drawn trips.

www.llangollenwharf.co.uk

Keith

Never forget the Stratford upon Avon Canal, it is narrowbeam and runs through some delightful scenery down to the River Avon where you can head downstream towards Tewkesbury etc. Stratford Basin (the junction between canal and river) is a wonderful place and you can moor right under the famous theatre and explore Stratford upon Avon.

The real problem is that you can be spoiled for choice on the canal network as it so vast, as has been said.

• Like 1