Doh! Third Time Lucky - Hello Everyone!

Sorry folks.

A belated official 'hello' from me.

Not sure why I didn't see the new members thread earlier!

I hail from Kent, albeit a village on the fringes of Dartford - Sutton At Hone.

I was introduced to the Broads with three friends back in 1990, when we hired Outon Pearl (I think it was) from Oulton Broad (surprisingly!!).  The boat was (I think) a Dawncraft Illusive 35.  We were 19 at the time, and I think probably quite lucky to get our deposit back - we were quite hopeless as the boat would get taken by the wind very easily!

Didn't get back into hiring until 2010, when the kids were old enough, and have hired every year since then.  We've hired;

Amber Gem 3 2010

Hawaii 2011 & 2012

Broadland Mercury 2013

Broadsman 6 2014.

We've got Broadland Breeze 2 booked for October, and Challenger 1 booked for Easter next year.

Addictive this Broads lark, init!?

cheers.

Stuart.

• Like 1

A very warm welcome from me (again) Lol

Yes very addictive, I don't think there's a cure either (no that you would want one). I would rather a Broads holiday than abroad any day, you just can't beat it. This Forum is also addictive, a nice bunch of people on here  :wave

Grace

Jonzo - we consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have had Broadsman;

We had booked Mercury again for 2014. In the meantime - about July 2013 - were contacted via FB by Richardson's if we would consider assisting them with some filming in September 2013 (I am quite active on FB!).  Ummm, took a long time to think about that, as we potentially would have had a day of filming, then three days use of Broads Harmony FOC!  We took the offer up, but would not use the four days - as the kids were still in school term.

The filming fell through, but Richardson's honoured the offer the boat!  I offered to pay for the fuel - but they were having none of it!

Anyway, when we returned, I emailed Richardson's asking if there was anyway we could repay their generosity - explaining we had a week booked in Easter on Mercury, and we would put ourselves at their service for filming!

So, they said yes, and then upgraded us to Broadsman!!

In the end, we had a really fun time with the film crew;  Richardson's had the boat all day Monday 14th April - while we took a trip to Bewilderwood - and then we were filmed on the morning of Tuesday.  All wrapped up by mid-day, and off on our way on a crcking boat for the remainder of the week!

Really very lucky if you ask me.  Very nice people.  I met Emma Day - the marketing manager, and my wife got to meet Greg, the CEO - while myself and the kids were in Horning on a toilet trip (as the boat was still in use by Richie the pirate at the time!!!)

Stuart

A very warm welcome from me (again) Lol

Yes very addictive, I don't think there's a cure either (no that you would want one). I would rather a Broads holiday than abroad any day, you just can't beat it. This Forum is also addictive, a nice bunch of people on here  :wave

Grace

Grace

Some addictions are good for you!!

Stuart.

• Like 1

Nah it aint addictive at all...its TOTALY addictive, its a case of when, not if, I am ready, it will be hire 128 for me, dont ask me to name them all lol as many were the same boat! I am convinced Astons retired on the profits made off of yours truely.  :naughty:

Oh and a welcome from me also SGWilko. ;)

cheers Iain.

Welcome from me too.. another from Kent :) 

Iain...have you not thought of buying one now? 128 is some count! although by hiring probably means you get more time afloat than most private owners.

Oh.. It's not an addiction is a way of live... I really should have gone to ibiza when I was 17 and not bloody norfolk!  

Alan we did our sums many times, but living over 400 miles away plus the excellent discounts we had from the likes of Aston Boats, in truth it was going to be too dear to own a craft. Oh eck ive just realised looking through past years its not 128 duh its 108 what a numpty I am. :oops:  Oh well will just have to have another 20 holis to catch up lol. IF the old body will survive for them!

I didny learn to fly till my early 50's and even then, prefered a Broads holiday, NO queing at airports etc. Also, in general a holiday abroad is £100 per person dearer from up North than flying from down South. 

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

I see your point Iain. Even from here norfolk is far enough to question if its a good idea to put the boat there but the more I do the drive the easier it becomes. I hated the feeling of packing away at 8.30am though.. I still hate that with my parents boat..

Grace you are probably right there!.. But as I'm sure everyone agrees there is something strange but magical with norfolk where as soon you set foot there its soo relaxing... 

Sorry Stuart for hijacking the thread here!

After family bereavements we have found solace by coming down to The Broads. Grace, I have a pile of receipts somewhere with most of the boats hired lol. As I said, at Astons I used Aston Norwich many times as it has the seperate loo from the shower. I also used Alan Johnson Boats a lot as a change from starting on the southern rivers. Sharron we used as a family for spring and autumn holis. Shena and Shona also. I use to have great fun moving the Concorde Class - great boats to handle they were - about the Loddon yard to help the lads finnish sooner on a Friday night. We left very early Saturday mornings to avoid the A47 and A17 mayhem. Oh I could type stories about the Norfolk Broads all night n day lol so many happy memories. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

No worries about thread hijack here - I'm enjoying the read!

I take the point about the drive getting easier - our 'other' holiday destination is a cottage in the Scottish Borders.  Takes about 7 hours with a food break if the traffic is kind.  We generally drive up early evening and arrive in the early hours - simply to avoid all the morons on the A1!

Recently we've been breaking up the journey with a stop off at a Premier Inn in Bishop Aukland.  My wife then takes over the drive up the A68 which is good for me as the scenery is simply stunning through Northumberland National Park.....

It's only a 3 hour drive at the most to Stalham from here, but we've started doing the Premier Inn thing too in order to get an extra day of it by visiting the BVR and taking out the Wroxham mooring issue that has stuck with me since 2010!!!

Stuart.

Where to start!

It is a lovely boat - very well thought out - but there is one little niggly thing that was a little annoyance.

So the good;

It's a BIG boat, but it does not feel big to handle.  In fact, it is a dream to handle.  They have bow and stern thrusters which, apart from perhaps assisting in casting off or mooring in the wind, you really don't need to use, such is the forgiveness of the general handling.

Nicely laid out galley with lots of storage and worktop space.  There is an aft double cabin with en-suite, the centre cabin is either two singles or a double with an en-suite that can also be accessed from the galley area.

Lovely big seating area under the canopy, a fold up table that hides away under the helm seat.

Reversing camera (that is on all the time the engine is on), GPS speed readout to the 10th of an mph.  Water, fuel and toilet tank gauges or indicators.

Nice quiet Nanni engine at the rear under the molded seat.  External LED soft lighting at the rear (for late night pub returns!)

LED internal lighting throughout, very bright and useful.  Mood lighting in the front cabin which is great if you don't want the harshness of the main LED lighting when reading etc.

Freesat TV (we never used it though)

Powered canopy.

Dual zone warm air heating.

The Bad;

In the front cabin you get to hear the water lapping on the hull, so in tidal areas, this can be a pain.  But it was the only thing we could find that was not positive!

The front cabin bed is lovely, as is the en-suite.  Piping hot water and powerful showers.  Electric flush loos (although they do a two-cycle flush, so we only flushed after 'number two's!' or used shore based loos for that.

We cruised as follows;

Day 1 Stalham to Fleet Dyke.
Day 2 Fleet Dyke to Cockshoot, then to Richardson's Horning yard.
Day 3 Boat used by Richardson's for filming.
Day 4 More filming (return trip Horning yard - Cockshoot - Horning yard) then Horning - Coltishall, Pilot taling us under Wroxham with maybe a Rizla gap to spare! (said the wind was keeping levels high)
Day 5 Coltishall - Acle
Day 6 Acle to Womack - St Benets - How Hill
Day 7 How Hill - Neatishead - Stalham
Day 8 Swan quay - Kingfisher quay!

Of our £150 deposit, we got £77 back - so economical too - heating was on for an hour most evenings and mornings.

It tell you, you wont be dissapointed! :)post-29994-0-95404500-1400921398_thumb.jpost-29994-0-17051500-1400921425_thumb.jpost-29994-0-85694900-1400921459_thumb.jpost-29994-0-90951700-1400921494_thumb.jpost-29994-0-69266000-1400921569_thumb.jpost-29994-0-05423500-1400921685_thumb.jpost-29994-0-90438100-1400921735_thumb.jpost-29994-0-98125500-1400921765_thumb.jpost-29994-0-39644700-1400921806_thumb.jpost-29994-0-52131100-1400921888_thumb.j

• Like 1

OK - note to self - read post properly!

Doh - again!!!

Mercury - A very nice boat indeed, in fact, I can't actually work out how it can be such good value!

Have a look here; http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/#tabs=3

My write up on Mercury is the second one.

Boat handled really easily, canopy is on a counterweight, but does need two to do it.  Nice big front cabin - either two singles or a nice double.

Compact single cabin just behind the front cabin.  Head with shower directly in front of the helm seat.

Nice double cabin behind centre seating area.  Another head with shower opposite the double.

Another pullout double in the rear galley area.

Would certainly recommend her, and will be hiring again in the future - very versatile.

• Like 1

We also used a Premier Inn on both journeys - Kings Lynn - on the way down, this we can do now being retired. Before it was pick the wife up from School and drive down overnight. When we used Hearts at Thorpe, they left the boat or a boat open for us to zzzzz and then in the morning go over onto the island and do the bits n pieces. I can recommend the Darlington Premier Inn, the Beefeater, next doors food was excellent and the staff brilliant. I had to go all of the A1 as my sis in law lives in Linlithgow. Stopped at Morrisons at Berwick for my fav Toasted Bacon sarnie its huge there. I agree with the drives through Northumberland a very underestimated county to explore. Fortunately my mate has a Caravan sited at Haggerston Castle, so we go go down there from time to time.

I am only back two weeks from Norfolk and already I am getting the itch to return again soon lol

cheers Iain.