favourite hire boat

JimG

Well I have to say I had to have a long think and it is hard to nail it down to one particular boat - but considering the amount of time spent onboard it (3 weeks over two separate hires) Mystic Horizon, a Broom 29 Sedan from Acle was lovely.

While the space is pretty cramped down below, the large forward cabin and big double berth make up for it - the steering position is up high and comfortable and then you have the outside space with seating.

Now a Princess 30DS (Belmore) has the edge on style and the fit out and use of space is better, but you miss out on the spacious cabin but it is a close run thing.

post-534-0-93543200-1411430009_thumb.jpg

I've been on a few different boats over the years, but for space for a family holiday I think my favourite would be one of the Connoisseur C45 class.  We (my wife, our son and I) and my parents spent 2 fantastic weeks on one in 1995.  Spacious cabins and heads and quiet cruising with the engine at the rear made for a very comfortable boat indeed.  The only downside was the side entry, which was awkward if moored with the wrong side to the bank, but the positives far outweighed the negatives.

My other favourite would be Muscadet from Russell Marine.  They had two on their fleet, one is now with Herbert Woods and renamed Highlight.  The quality of the fit-out was near to private boat standards and it was ideal for the three of us when we hired her in 1999 and again in 2000.

C45 always looks a superb boat. It's difficult to fault it visually. I'm glad you mentioned the side entrance though...we went aboard one of these beauties in the NYA some years ago and it amazed us both just how tricky that side door can be. Very steep steps...definitely not for those with any mobility issues. Otherwise, a stunning boat for the Broads. :)

MM,  10 - 18th Oct,  Counting down the days, 2 x Jewels and 'B.A'

We used to say 'Lock up your daughters' - Nowadays it's more like 'Lock up your grannies'  !!  :norty:

Griff

Its the dart board walls I feel sorry for :naughty:  After the 5th pint, the dart board becomes a moving target!

cheers Iain.