Lads weekend, Oct 2014. Ibiza 2 & Opal Gem 3

JimG

Left Grimsby at 9am approx, arrived at Richardson's at 1pm. Both boats ready :-)

Staff very friendly (Chris and Alan) and we were on our way after a quick boat tour. I ticked the 'no trial run' box, in my opinion a great option to have for regular hirers.

Boat was as expected (hired last year) and is great value for money. £404 for a short break and as there were 5 on board it was just over £80 each.

Beautiful cruising conditions, lovely weather and the canopy was down for the whole journey. Water levels were high, just under 8ft clearance at Ludham Bridge.

We arrived at Womack Water around 4pm. Lots of space which surprised me. Had a bit of a go in the dinghy, one of the party did a spot of fishing.

Walked to The Kings Arms at around six and had tea. I had a steak baguette which was lovely. I really like this pub as it's fairly lively and has a pool table and a juke box. Returned back to the boat after far too many pints of Guiness/Gin and Tonics. A great first day all in all.

post-30510-0-94886600-1414528341_thumb.j

post-30510-0-91070000-1414528373_thumb.j

• Like 5

Day 2

Woke up about 7am with a slight hangover. Weather was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky.

The crew on Opal Gem were up too (good job as we needed some milk). Had breakfast on the boat, sausage and bacon buns. Is there anything better than a sausage and bacon bun with a cup of tea, eaten alfresco on The Broads? I think not.

Left Womack at 10ish, destination Wroxham. We had pre booked 2 moorings outside Hotel Wroxham. The cruise was idyllic, rivers fairly quiet.

Decided to go to The Shed as we'd never been. A bit tricky to find, had to ask for directions. Decent place this, lots or real ales to choose from. Had a bite to eat then headed to the Kings Head to meet up with some of the others. Played cards whilst watching the footy results come in.

Decided to catch the train into Norwich and had a drink in The Compleat Angler before going Tenpin Bowling. Stayed out til about midnight getting a taxi back to Wroxham. Far too much alcohol consumed!!!

post-30510-0-05388300-1414529779_thumb.j

post-30510-0-39230000-1414529797_thumb.j

• Like 7

Anyone know what happened to Day 3? Did they get back from Norwich?

Day 3

We all arrived back safely from Norwich, though some of the crew not until 4am!!! (we even managed to put the clocks back)

Woke up early again, 7.30ish. Breakfast was Roy's McDonald's for some and Hotel Wroxham for others. One of the crew even paid for a hotel room as he was unimpressed with his bed on Opal Gem (he's a big lad and had one of the crossover beds at the stern).

Left Wroxham at 10ish, destination Sutton Staithe. Weather was colder and windier than it had been but wasn't unpleasant. Passing through Ludham Bridge was a bit Wacky Races, but plenty of moorings so we stopped for water etc. The cruise up The Ant was pretty quiet and we were surprised to find Sutton Staithe quiet too. Moored up easily and went for a couple of afternoon pints, a few games of pool and to watch the footy at Sutton Staithe Hotel.

Had a table booked for 7pm, the food received mixed reviews. Most had the pie which was nice. I had steak and it wasn't the best, a little chewy. In general the place was good, ideal for families, lots of space and of course a gorgeous location. Food was nice, nothing special in our opinion (eight of us dined).

Returned to the boat at 21.30, all exhausted, early nights all round.

post-30510-0-92145000-1414606181_thumb.j

• Like 2