Ludham

JennyMorgan

Ludham.jpg

Note the houseboat on the left, once a landing craft built for the one way trip onto the Normandy Beaches. Many of the unused ones found their way onto the Broads but whilst they made grand houseboats I don't know that many survived into the sixties. Surprisingly, at least to me, many were built of plywood and steel.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Note the houseboat on the left, once a landing craft built for the one way trip onto the Normandy Beaches. Many of the unused ones found their way onto the Broads but whilst they made grand houseboats I don't know that many survived into the sixties. Surprisingly, at least to me, many were built of plywood and steel.

If they were built from plywood then they're American Higgins' Boats, the British LCA was built from steel. Although they were more or less expendable, they weren't expressly designed as single use, in fact the invasion plans depended on a certain proportion surviving to go back out to the fleet, take on another load of troops and equipment, and then return to the beach to drop it off. That's one reason why D-day was scheduled to take place on a rising tide, so that the beached landing craft would refloat themselves.

• Like 2

That houseboat is now moored beside the Thurne near the dyke. It used to be owned by an artist who had a small studio in a shed behind the shop and garage near Ludham bridge. 

I`ve still got a video i recorded from the tv in the 80s where the actor Robin Bailey was touring the broads on either Olive or White moth. He was going in the steps of a writer called Thomas Emmerson (i think), and stopped off to chat this artist who was the one i mentioned above. He wa proud that his houseboat was the only boat on the broads to have a wine cellar.

I still wonder whenever we pass it, whether he still owns it, or whether it`s now owned by a sailing club or whatever?.

That houseboat is now moored beside the Thurne near the dyke. It used to be owned by an artist who had a small studio in a shed behind the shop and garage near Ludham bridge. 

I`ve still got a video i recorded from the tv in the 80s where the actor Robin Bailey was touring the broads on either Olive or White moth. He was going in the steps of a writer called Thomas Emmerson (i think), and stopped off to chat this artist who was the one i mentioned above. He wa proud that his houseboat was the only boat on the broads to have a wine cellar.

I still wonder whenever we pass it, whether he still owns it, or whether it`s now owned by a sailing club or whatever?.

Are you meaning Neil Smalley? He moved from Thurne Dyke to Ludham Bridge, if my memory serves me correctly.

cheers Iain

I have one of his paintings, one that I particularly enjoy, it's an evocative sailing picture.