Sailing incentives

Baitrunner

I am not into the rag and stick thing, despite having a go a few times and enjoying it - too much like hard work.

But thought this might brighten you up on a cold damp day in the UK.

My nephew was one of the winners :clap (second from the left in the picture) earlier this week in one of the classes on the round the island race out in Barbados sponsored by Mount Gay Rum.

http://www.sail-world.com/UK/2015-Mount-Gay-Rum-Round-Barbados-Race---Three-records-broken/130926

The good part is he won his weight in rum - now I have suggested he takes his slightly larger uncle on as guest "skipper" next year so we can get a few more barrels of rum out of them - he only weighed in at 171lbs. :bow  Mind you that is still a lot of rum cheers  cheers  cheers  

• Like 1

The most unusual "rum" I ever tried was a concoction sold in Newfoundland, that went by the name of "Screech" - so called because this is the noise you make after drinking it neat. Back in the days of our forefathers, the Newfies used to export salt cod to the West Indies. As a return cargo they brought barrels of "no-name" rum, which was bottled locally in Newfie.  

Before you drank "Screech", you had to go through a kind of initiation ceremony, of which I have only hazy memories, but I seem to recall that it involved drinking rather a lot of said rum and I have vague memories of being asked to kiss a fish at some point in the proceedings. The drink accompanied other local delicacies, such as seal flipper pie, fried cod's tongues and a very heavy pudding called figgy duff.  As I say, I don't know much about it, but I have got a certificate somewhere to prove it.

Great place, Newfie!

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

I wonder how it compares with "issue strength" Pusser's Rum ?

I bought this bottle about 30 years ago as a keepsake when the tradition was stopped.

I've still got it too, unopened. :)

post-195-0-48625100-1422345342_thumb.jpg