Good rod for fishing off a boat.

JennyMorgan

Fishing from a boat really doesn't require a long rod, ten feet long is probably long enough and a traditional through action ideal for bream. I now have four of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201285488909?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Including p&p I've paid between £12.00 and £15.00 each and darn good they are too! I bought them as guest rods and have taken to using one myself. Okay, not the same league as some of my rods but a ten foot, three piece rod is very useful and easy to back away on a boat.

• Like 1

I'm currently sorting through all of my fishing tackle to divide it between a set for home and boat. From childhood I'd always used a 13ft float rod and fixed spool reel (all purchased from Lathems) however these days as my angling changed to targeting specific species instead of 'general maggotdrowning' so too has the tackle. My preferred rods these days are Shimano, and although a foot longer than JM's preferred boat rod length at 11' I keep a Shimano Beatsmaster Classic All Round AX float rod in both sets of kit. My home kit also contains 2x Shimano Barbel Rods where as for ledgering on the boat I prefer my old Browning 'indestructible' 10ft quiver which I have adapted to take an alternative swing tip top section for those slower sections of the Broads. I also have an adapted swing tip section for my barbel rods at home for when I head off to tackle those favourite fish of mine, tench.

Reels are usually Shimano fixed spools for ledgering but for everything else from float to surface fishing its my trusty Alcocks Ariel centrepin. I seem to be able to cast both further and more accurately with a centrepin although I'm a great 'repeater' of my Great Grandfather's advice of 'If thus fish way 'ovver theeyer lad, thus fish under thee fee'ut!'.

For casual boat fishing my favourite is an old 3.5 metre telescopic rod with a surprisingly good action for that type.

I leave it in the cabin all setup with reel and line threaded up with hook and float, so I only have to bait up and slide the float and shot up to the right depth, and I can be fishing within seconds, taking advantage of any quick opportunity.

I also snapped the end ring off and araldited a swing tip threaded eye on, so I  can use it just as well for ledgering.

Aside from that, I also use a cheap 4 metre telescopic whip with ready made up rigs on winders.