A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS, THEN AND NOW.

It's all a bit sad really, the voice has gone, the energy has gone, the hair has gone. Of course the saddest thing is that when they were young so were we. In many ways I could be looking in the mirror. I was a child of the new romantic era, I had the hair, the eye liner and garish blue eye shadow of Bowie. Above once we were sent home from school for wearing make up (and that was the boys, kids today can't hold a candle!). We eagerly awaited new videos on TOTP from the likes of Flock, along with Visage, Talk Talk, Classix Nouveau and Teardrop Explodes etc just to see what the latest "look" was, and next day we were out on the streets with it painted on our own faces.

Like them, my hair has gone, probably a victim of the endless peroxide washes, the inches have arrived and the voice, if it was ever any good has turned gravelly under the strain of a lifetime of woodbines. They were good days, no they were great days. So why do we cringe so much when we look back on them?

• Like 3