Mobile Scooter hire.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a wee update... after a rethink and jiggling about in my car, I think "Scoot" is coming on holiday with us! Yay! Will know for definate when I get to my sister in laws and see what size of bags etc she has packed! :naughty: Nine days to go, not that I am counting them down at all :liar  :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Yes is dismantles into four pieces. The chassis is the largest piece of the four. The freedom it has given me since I got it, has been brilliant. :)  I am not a small person to shove about lol. I was down at a meagre 12stones when very ill, but thankfully have got my "bulk" back. Never was a skinnymalink. :norty:

cheers Iain

Ha ha. Don't want you wasting away Iain.

My father in law has one sounds similar. Not overly portable though for a boat?

Saw some of the more basic ones on the local town today which look a lot smaller.

Guess the battery and motor are the heaviest parts though.

Hats off to you for still going boating. Just moor near a pub ( see keep forgetting you can't drink)!

Hope you have a good holiday.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

It was both my wife and sister in law said "Scoot" should come to Norfolk also lol. The Battery is heavyish, but if we do things slowly putting the pieces on n off land, I am sure all will be well. The chassis is not heavy, the seat folds into half its size. 

I aint totally TT, just have to use common sense. I will have the odd pint shandy, and if I see Adnams Broadside, then it has to be sampled also. :naughty:

A week tonight the car will be filled with holiday items for an early departure on the Sunday morning. :)

cheers Iain.

Hope you get everything sorted with "Scoot" for your holiday. My late wife was disabled, lost her left leg below the knee due to diabetes. Although she had a prosthetic leg, she found it difficult walking too far, so she had a small three wheel scooter, but they are not as stable as a four wheel. I kept it after she passed away and still have it in the shed. It might need new batteries, as it hasn't run for four years. I am hanging on to it though, just in case I or Wendy might need it as we get older, but touch wood we are both quite able at the moment. 

Hi Geoff,

Yep all things ok with the Scooter, thank you. I can walk ok, just somedays the backache and arth in my lags makes movement a bit awkward shall we say. I won't let these ailments hold me back from a holiday, that I look forward to so much. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Hi Iain,

What arrangements have you made regarding charging of the scooters batteries?
It may interest forum members who may be thinking of bringing theirs to the Broads.

What size inverter is required to charge the batteries or would you try to moor to use shore power?
Did you contact the boatyard with regards to the power requirements? I know that many yards will not guarantee the continuous supply of power for a nebuliser.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

The battery is good for approx 13 miles, so unless I climb a lot of hills which are a bit thin in Norfolk I should get by without any charge at all. I can carry the charger unit in a pocket on my seat, so I could ask in a pub say if they would mind I give Scoot a top up. I would of course offer payment for that. IF Broadway has a shore lead I would imagine I can charge it on board. If not I will find a way I am sure.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi,  I've only just seen this thread so please forgive me if I am repeating an earlier post.

I also have a scooter that dismantles into four parts and found that it took an enormous amount of boot space. My solution was to buy a Luggie scooter - ( not cheap )  but folds in about 30 seconds, can be taken on coaches, planes and trains. Weighs about 50 lb, carries up to 18 stones and has a range of around 12 miles. It only takes up about a third of my boot space ( Citroen C4 ). You can find them on Ebay for around £1,000.00 mark for a reasonable one.

Hi Brian,

I looked at the Luggie also, but felt £500 was enough for now to pay for a Travel Scooter. The Renault Scenic boot is big and we can still fit soft items in and around the chassis part. The battery will sit behind my drivers seat on the floor.Also the seat behind me, so just the motor and chassis in the boot. I discovered another bit of space where the spare wheel would be, and being with Motability I don't need to worry about punctures and such like. Maybe one day I will look into purchasing a Luggie.

cheers Iain

Hi Geoff,

Yep all things ok with the Scooter, thank you. I can walk ok, just somedays the backache and arth in my lags makes movement a bit awkward shall we say. I won't let these ailments hold me back from a holiday, that I look forward to so much. :)

cheers Iain.

Glad to hear that Iain. Live life to the full while you can. I suffer with a few aches and pains, especially if we do a lot of  walking and Wendy is the same. We tend sit for a rest now and then, and not walk too fast. We manage to get round Norwich and see most of the city on the last day of our holiday and must have covered about three or four miles all told. We were glad of a lie down for an hour when we got back to the hotel we had booked for the night. All will be revealed in our Holiday Tale later. Have a nice holiday, just take your time and do what you can, as you say, just being on the Broads is worth a few aches and pains.

cheers

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your kind remarks. Yes, I have always lived life to the full, especially when I played my sports, of cricket and golf. 

I have my places marked out where I will hopefully use my scooter. I was a model railway enthusiast - still am - when younger, so hope to go and see the layouts at Wroxham/Hoveton. The one place where the scooter will be tested out, is going up the hill from the YS at Beccles!

I will have my lappy with me, so hopefully will give you all a few updates where we are moored.

cheers Iain.