Mobile Scooter hire.

Hi All,

I am thinking of hiring a travel mobile scooter while on the Broads in May, My own one would take up too much boot space. I sent an email to Broadland Mobility, but their hire charges for eleven days was eyewatering!                                    

If you know of any other business who do this type hire, please let me know, thank you.

cheers Iain.

Iain you need a bigger car :)cheers

Oh how true Alan, a pantechnicon maybe? :naughty:  I did look at the Grand Scenic, but SWMBO would never have driven it! :norty:

One company wants £45 just to deliver it from Gt Yarmouth to Stalham!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

THP are definitely there - we have hired from them. `not cheap...

01603 784777

Agreed, none are cheap to hire in the UK, I had a quote from the Broadland Mobility £65 a week or £20 per day, came to £175 for 11 days I think as there is a £45 delivery charge.

I will contact all of them, once Easter is out of the way. Thank you all for your help.

cheers Iain.

Iain, just curious, have you brought a mobility scooter on the Broads before? I ask because unless you have an all terrain one then I can foresee problems. A good friend of mine had one designed to be taken on an aeroplane, light and handy for lifting ashore but he found it lacking on mud and grass, typical bank terrain, so he then bought a Quingo which was excellent cross country but his wife found it too big to woman-handle from boat to shore. In the end they settled on a power assisted wheelchair which was less than perfect but at least he had mobility. I'm sure that this is a question of interest to many. 

• Like 1

Iain, just curious, have you brought a mobility scooter on the Broads before? I ask because unless you have an all terrain one then I can foresee problems. A good friend of mine had one designed to be taken on an aeroplane, light and handy for lifting ashore but he found it lacking on mud and grass, typical bank terrain, so he then bought a Quingo which was excellent cross country but his wife found it too big to woman-handle from boat to shore. In the end they settled on a power assisted wheelchair which was less than perfect but at least he had mobility. I'm sure that this is a question of interest to many. 

Hi JM,

Many thanks for your thoughts. To answer your Q no, but do negotiate with my own one,  some dodgey surfaces with my Travel one, which dismantles into four main parts.

My old legs struggled last year with walking anything resembling a walk, so now that I have a scooter of my own, I thought about hiring one for the holiday. It would be handy for Norwich, Wroxham, Beccles, Loddon and Oulton Broad. I fully appreciate there are a few places where the wheels and the ground would be a serious issue of being stuck! I will of course attempt to moor as close to places of interest as much as possible. I can walk ok, just somedays the Arthritis is not nice, shall I say.

I could still bring my own one, but I don't think my female crew would appreciate a Sainsbury size shopping bag for all their holiday gear! :naughty: Plus of course the liquid refreshments too. :dance

I say again, thank you for raising the point. I am still having a look see what is available.

cheers Iain

P.S The scooter offered online is the same model I have.

Iain, when you are down at Oulton, if you need a lift into Lowestoft or wherever, then it would be my pleasure to give you a lift. I believe that East Coast Mobility do day hire in Lowestoft.

Thank you JM, a very kind and generous offer. Watch this space as they say.

Iain buy a roofbox for the motor then bring your own

Hi Mike,

It has been discussed, and I quite like that idea to shift the clothes etc with a roofbox.

cheers Iain.

Perhaps, as a forum, we could produce a 'wheel chair users' guide to the Broads. For example suitable moorings, indeed I suspect that that would be the crux of such a guide. Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station springs to mind, we are guided to arrive there at low water yet, for anyone less than nimble, access can be a struggle unless the tide is well up and the boat is likely to be level with the quay-heading. To a lesser degree the same can be said of Oulton Broad yacht station, tide levels are relevant. However, once ashore both locations offer good access with concrete paths right besides the water. Regarding Oulton Broad it is important to phone and reserve a suitable mooring space. Is this a topic that's worth expanding? Are there sufficient folk out there, dependent on wheelchairs, interested in coming  to The Broads? Which boats are suitable? 

I met a lady a few years ago who, wisely, had hired a 'bath tub', a boat that she felt comfortable in. However she felt that she was tied to the boat for the whole holiday, unaware of where she could access the shore. Perhaps the industry could rate their boats with regard to disabilities? Perhaps the same could be done for formal moorings? 

My local sailing club works with Sailability, it is nothing short of humbling to see severely disabled people sailing a boat with nothing short of absolute joy. But suitable facilities are on hand at Sailability. Is there sufficient interest to make it worthwhile providing suitable hoists at formal moorings?

• Like 2

Iain,

I've just had one of those light bulb moments, have you tried contacting the broads very own Nancy Oldfield Trust to see if they can help.

might also be worth speaking with them if the forum do decide on putting something together about disabled boats/moorings. 

• Like 1

JM

Great idea, indeed. :clap  I am fine most of the time (quiet you lot!) I am really :angel:               It was the main criterior which boat we hired. I noticed a gentleman come out of Royal Swan at  Ranworth last May, and that got me thinking about these bathing style stern boats, hence ended up booking Broadway from Richos.

I shall phone OBYS for hopefully a pontoon mooring on the Port side as you enter the YS.

Basically I have sampled the freedom that my new scooter has given me, and I am being greedy I guess.

I have sent a couple of emails, so I get prices to see not hear but see whats on offer.

Martin thats also a good idea, but think they are more for wheelchair users.

Thank you all once again for input, much appreciated.

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Iain would a roof box be an alternative? as so use this for your (wifes) bits as so your scooter will fit in the boot? I suspect you will be able to pick up a roof box which is a similar cost of the scooter hire although obviously you can reuse the box again for next time?

cheers

Hi Alan,

The problem we have with the roof box is where to store it. We just do not have the space here.  I think, if I get a reasonable quote for a scooter hire. I can go and collect it myself. We drive down the day before to Kings Lynn, Premier Inn, so plenty of time before boat take over. Its the £45 delivery thats annoying me most, not the basic hire price.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1