The Beauchamp Arms and Green Jack

kfurbank

I see that The Beuachamp Arms had a party night last Saturday sponsored by Green Jack with GJ ales at £2.50 a pint. A certain brewer called Tim was also spotted in his boat moored outside the pub during Sunday afternoon. A quick visit Sunday afternoon and the only real ales were GJ ones, Rising Sun and Wax Wing. The bar was nicely adorned with GJ bar towels and GJ beer mats. The rather nice pint of Wax Wing was also served in a GJ glass. Don't know if this is a temporary move or a more permanent one, however it got me wondering if there could be other moves afoot further down river? Went past The Berney Arms on Monday, and whilst it was still closed, there have been signs of someone cleaning and painting? Could we see The Berney Arms open soon, even temporarily? and might it be stocking GJ ales if so? Can but dream. 

• Like 2

We went to The Berney moorings last weekend and saw that the tables outside had been painted. It was obviously a rush job and

the ground below the tables was covered in paint. We also noticed that the old building to the left of the pub had received some attention. The place has been on the market now for a long time - its possible that the owner is getting desperate to sell and has

started to clean the place up to attract some buyers. It will need substantial funds to bring it up to a good standard. 

There was a post here recently from some one who suggested that The Berney Arms could be reopening temporarily for the Summer whilst still being offered for sale. I may be making 2+2 make 5, but would be good to think there was some substance to that claim, and that it involved GJ. With the recent divorce of GJ from 2 of its pubs they must be looking for more outlets, even in the short term.

Don't know Dave, only met a very new barmaid who was struggling to work out where things were and the prices of things. I must confess to not having stopped at The Beauchamp for a number of years, but timing meant it made an ideal stop on the way to Loddon for the Sunday night.

Now this all very confusing, when we were down in May and was chatting to chap at Norwich YS i  He was under the impression the bloke was involved with both places? He was trying to put someone in Berny Arms for the main season?

Watch this space as they say!

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain,

The Beauchamp Arms and The Berney Arms freeholds have been owned by the same person for a number of years, at least ten I think. This person has let The Berney Arms to a succession of tenants and is now trying to sell the freehold, but would quite happily let it again for this season, if he hasn't already done so. The Beauchamp Arms has at times been let to tenants or run under management by the freeholder for a number of years. Here say has it that he would like to see the premises de-licensed and then live there as a residential property.

I'm really not sure if The Beauchamp is currently under the freeholders management, or let to a tenant, or even if GJ could be a tenant?

The freeholder of both those pubs used to be the headline lessee on two other pubs, The Surlingham Ferry and The Kings Head Loddon, both of which are faring much better now he has no involvement.

• Like 3

T'was I that suggested that a deal had been struck to open the Berney for the main season, in fact that was over a fortnight ago and that rumour suggested it would be open by now. I guess there may be more work to do than expected. If the "tennants" are who it was purported to be then the pub should be reasonably well run.

late in may around 5pm I wondered into the beauchamp alms to see how it was doing as it had looked

so run down the last time I had been.

I found they had done a comfortable referb ...

post-34-0-00428000-1434634205_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-61543800-1434634221_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-40483900-1434634238_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-38835600-1434634266_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-57081000-1434634289_thumb.jpg

the lounge and bar looked good to but was busy

so I dident take pictures

• Like 3

It has been a few years since we tried it wasn't very attractive inside. Looks much better now.

There is a fair bit of mooring just up river as well assuming the fisher folk haven't taken it over now the season is in full swing. Not too much of a walk if your on the dyke into rockland broad either.

Let's hope they do well.

There's actually a very nice circular walk from Rockland staithe. Follow the road out of Rockland until you get to a track on the Left hand side that leads down to The Beauchamp Arms. Stop for a well earned pint and then follow the river bank back to Rockland dyke, down the dyke and around the broad by the bird hide and back to the staithe.