A good news education story.

Polly

Today the Philosophy 4 Children story hit BBC News, the Indy and the Times at last count. It is what I do, train teachers to run P4C in their classes. A big study by Durham Uni has proved that it boosts kids in Maths, Reading and Writing, but better still, in my view, helps them think things through, consider big questions and even sort out their differences more amicably. As one 12 year old once said to me, 'This is great, we can disagree without having a row'.

• Like 1

I listened to the programme with interest Polly. Leaving VI Form I had little or no skill in debate whatsoever. This left me looking at the prospect of a distinct disadvantage upon attending University...not that I realised at the time. Fortunately the MP's Austin Mitchell and Marcus Fox visited my VI Form College to 'discuss' or give us an insight into politics. Marcus Fox gave the students the usual Thatcherite blather...forgetting he was talking to a student body made up of the sons and daughters of recently redundant miners and steel workers. Austin Mitchell however sat quietly for twenty minutes, listening to Marcus Fox and then politely interrupted. He then started to 'teach' us the why debate is important and the skills required to conduct it. He brought Marcus Fox into what had now become a 'lesson' instead of a hustings. I sat with the rest of the student body for two hours totally fascinated as both men spoke. What impressed me was that Austin Mitchell was not interested in passing on his particular political view. He did pass on his infectious interest in debate and I distinctly remember the way he kept asking us 'what do you think?' and 'what are your opinion's on this?'. It was the first time I had sat with fellow classmates where we discussed our views reasonably and openly.

• Like 1

I heard about this on the radio yesterday morning too. It's certainly interesting. Had a look at some resources online around the kind of morals that can come into it as well. Sounds like a good way to encourage discussion and learn to respect other views without descending into argument.