Breydon posts idea

Broads01

It really is easy...

Keep within the markers...

(forget what colour they are painted.. (considering most of the are brown with dirt).. Just keep within the markers :)

Just like we have to keep within the banks of the river.. go outside of the banks and you aren't a boat anymore...

Exactly, Alan...

"When crossing Breydon keep between the red and green posts"

Thank you senator, at last some support. It actually doesn't matter which way round the posts are or the fact they are equivalent to those at sea - we're talking about an inland waterway. For those that say it's easy, I agree, but I've been crossing for many years just like you guys. For novices, of which there'll always be many, it isn't easy (don't assume those that get stuck are all automatically numpties) so I still say lets have a better system like there are elsewhere.

• Like 1

Simon, I think we need to be careful what we wish for. Breydon is marked according to international regulations and most if not all experienced boaters know there meaning and manage to stay within the channel. Roads are marked with signs we have to learn before we are allowed out on them alone. It could be argued that the markings are not the problem, but the amount of novices who cross Breydon unprepared could be?

The more this issue gets raised on various forums and letters to The BA, there will come a day when The BA feel compelled to act or risk being seen as negligent, The signage has already been improved since they took over responsibility for Breydon, that possibly leaves training and more regulation!!!

The channel is already marked, therefore the root causes of who runs aground and why is what needs to be addressed. The BA have the power to issue special directions, could we see a time when Breydon gets closed to hirers outside of certain times? Imagine crossings only allowed 2 hours either side of low water and only when Spirit of Breydon is on patrol on Breydon. Would solve the problem, but wouldn't be popular.

• Like 1

Keith, you've certainly hit the nail with that one!   :naughty:   :naughty:

"I think we need to be careful what we wish for.... Imagine crossings only allowed 2 hours either side of low water and only when Spirit of Breydon is on patrol on Breydon. Would solve the problem, but wouldn't be popular".  

Let's hope a certain authority don't take it to heart..............

Has anyone seen the SOB out this year?? 

It was out most of last week when the tides were very high and around mid day. It did a grand job for the turnover of The Berney Arms. One day I was moored at The Berney and watching as boat after boat came down The Waveney or The Yare and out onto Breydon, only to return 20 mins later.

Although I have to say I don't particularly like its other chosen mooring spot last week which was facing downriver below both bridges moored up against the corner of The Bure where is was recently re-piled a couple of years ago. By the time a boat has turned into The Bure they will have a hell of a job trying to back out. They would be far better off waiting on the new pontoon and turning back anything that has passed Breydon bridge before it turns up The Bure

It was out most of last week when the tides were very high and around mid day. It did a grand job for the turnover of The Berney Arms. One day I was moored at The Berney and watching as boat after boat came down The Waveney or The Yare and out onto Breydon, only to return 20 mins later.

Was this because of restricted headroom at low or slack water at GH, Keith?

Was this because of restricted headroom at low or slack water, Keith?

Hi John, Mid week last week the low tides were 8-9am and the same time late evening obviously. Which meant that high water was just after lunch, but they were also high tides as well. 6ft clearance at high water, so even Richo's gems were being turned back for lack of clearance. I was moored at The Berney around 12:30 Thursday lunchtime with 2 other boats. By 4pm the mooring was full with people waiting for the tide. Around 4:30pm the BA turned up and let some of the lower airdraft boats go, and advised some others to wait another hour or so. This was still way ahead of low water for Thursday but at least they had an improving clearance by then.