Lake District National Park declined to adopt Boat Safety Scheme

Poppy

When I began my electrical apprenticeship, I was told, water you can touch and taste it, touch live electric and there is a good chance you won't complete your apprenticeship!

ALL Electrical applications/installations should be treated with the greatest of respect IMHO!

cheersIain

• Like 5

Anyone fancy £100 added to your bills for the Broads MOT?

because that's the minimum it's likely to cost to have your boat lifted out to check the condition of your external hull fittings if that were brought in. Since there are a comparatively few boat lifts around I could see long queues and the rates on that going up!

51 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Anyone fancy £100 added to your bills for the Broads MOT?

because that's the minimum it's likely to cost to have your boat lifted out to check the condition of your external hull fittings if that were brought in. Since there are a comparatively few boat lifts around I could see long queues and the rates on that going up!

It did seem to be quite a contradiction that the BSS was seen an "imposition" on the Broads, and yet this was a call to make it into a full blown out of the water structural survey as well ?

I think it is set just right as it is now, a four-yearly comprehensive check of all the equipment potentially giving fire, explosive, and asphyxiating hazards aboard.

Even the annual car MOT test has never been a "full survey", completely omitting the condition of the engine, clutch, and gears. It is in no way a "condition" survey, just like the BSS.

On 25/02/2016 at 8:37 PM, Strowager said:

If people want to know if a boat is structurally safe, then they need a full survey instead. 

We should be thankful that structural safety is not enforced in the BSS to an pre-ordained  specific standard, that would drive most woodies off the river, I fear.

Actually 'most' woodies are maintained properly and do undergo a full structural survey every few years. We have to...

Sadly we all remember the ones in poor ownership that end up on the bottom. The rest are harder to spot as, still being afloat, they are on the move!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Actually 'most' woodies are maintained properly and do undergo a full structural survey every few years. We have to...

Sadly we all remember the ones in poor ownership that end up on the bottom. The rest are harder to spot as, still being afloat, they are on the move!

Yes, I should indeed have said "some" rather than most.