Impeller

Hi. I'm replacing the impeller on my outboard - a Yam 9.9 4 stroke.

I know they twist into the housing in a certain direction but being a pillock I didn't take notice of which way the old one was in.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Regards.

Mark.

It doesn't seem to matter with my inboard. Lubricate the housing - a water based 'personal' lubricant beginning with 'K' works well ;) - before fitting the impellor, then turn the engine over with the sparl plug out and it will set itself.

On 7 March 2016 at 4:12 PM, JawsOrca said:

Try this :)

Having done the Honda 15 a few times, I will add for those looking at this with a Honda 9.9 or Honda 15 two things from the video.

If I recall the 4 bolts holding the lower section, are indeed M8 but maybe the head size is 13 mm AF not 12mm worth mentioning, in case you go equipped.

Second more important.

The impellor drive method was changed, To a woodruff key, and a slot in the impellor, the woodruff key is easily lost.

Also it might be easier to fit the impeller to the drive first with the woodruff key in place then wiggle on the housing, as the other way around, the woodruff key could drop out during assembly, and you will only find this out after you have returned the engine to the boat, and you get no water.

Now... before starting, make sure you have the correct impellor, so take the serial number with you to the dealer or supplier.

The change I believe took place between when the cover went from Red Black and white to all silver, and I am not totally sure which came first, the drive flat or the woodruff key and slot as my notes are on the boat, together with my correct spare impellor lol.

Hope it helps.

Sorry to digress, as this does not apply to a Yamaha, but since the Honda was mentioned, I thought it was best to pass on this information.