grendel

Broad Ambition - The Model

today the motor was fixed down and tweaking began.

well there we are - consumption down to about 1A, the cv joint (from a model car) the bit sticking up was a steering arm, I will make up a bracket from the bulkhead to this to allow me to fine tune the angle of the joint for the lowest resistance. I also found a tiny bit of packing under the stern tube locks this in place and reduces the current consumption. also seen here is the 35mm prop.

Today we went to the boating pool, the speed is a lot better with this motor. the added bonus the motor barely gets warm. while I was here I also had a test of the motor on the 6v ballast battery - very slow.

I took my ammeter along to measure current draw in the water 1.1A at 6V, 2.6A on 12V.

thats about 2 1/2 hours on full speed. a good cruising speed is obtainable at about half to 3/4 stick travel. I did encounter a few problems with leaves wrapping around the prop, cutting the speed dramatically 

nearly a week with no updates - shocking I hear you cry - yes I have taken a short break, whilst I have been  getting the workshop sorted. add to that a couple of days (friday and saturday) feeling seasick, as a mild bout of labrynthitis struck.

hopefully now I have just about got there I can proceed with the boats particularly model #2.

the next step is the prop shaft support and the rudder.

this evening two small bits of work, firstly one of the storage cradles has cracked, and needed repairing, so this was brought into the workshop, glued , reinforced, and clamped.

secondly the stainless steel strip down the bow of Broad Ambition was added, this was done with the chrome pen, and will be tested for durability in the water, this may be replaced with a real stainless steel strip if it doesnt last.

IMG_7758.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG