Where Was This Taken???

LizG

Right once someone gives me a possible suggestion, I will tell all regarding this photo which came to light by chance in our recent loft clear out!!!!!  I am not saying anything at the moment except it was in 1965! It was an amazing find needless to say...........

Water rail0001.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you so much!

The story is that back in 1965 we went on a boating holiday on the River Shannon, my parents and one of my brothers.  The Shannon is NOT the Broads, it is wild, rough in places and if you don't follow the markers, its not mud but rocks that you will hit.  We hit fog on Lough Ree and a real scary storm on Lough Derg. The result was we came home and had to hire a boat in November on the Broads to recover and in December 1965 father bought Water Rail.

At the time of the holiday we had no idea he would buy a Herbert Woods Delight Class.

However, the story was we were minding our own business and I did think we were travelling through Athlone and we saw a Delight, we immediately recognised her as a Broads Boat.  My recollection was that we had to wait at Athlone for the lock keeper as he was watching a football match and as we came out the boat was on the other side??? What I didn't know until recently was my brother took a photo.  Whilst clearing out the loft junk, my husband came across a slide and asked what it was.  I looked at it and immediately saw it was the Delight in Ireland.  How it came into my possession I have no idea as it didn't even know he had taken a photo.

A few days later, there was a boating tragedy on Lock Ree, where ?two people ?drowned, and we believe the Delight was involved in an attempted rescue (I can't find anything on line so my memory might have got the facts wrong/location wrong).

If there is a lock at Lanesborough, all this would make better sense as we thought if they hadn't have been delayed at the lock they would have got to the accident sooner??? We were going up the river and the accident happened south of us?

A few years ago, I found on the Craig's site, photos of Delight III  being lowered into the docks in Dublin as well as more photos on a Irish Boating website.  Four went over plus two larger ones, to be hired on the Grand Canal by Ted Barrett.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w-album said:

We were going up the river and the accident happened south of us?

Would say that the location is Lanesborough then as that is North of the Lough whereas Athlone is to the south.

Very interesting to see a broads built boat so far from home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthur said:

Would say that the location is Lanesborough then as that is North of the Lough whereas Athlone is to the south.

Very interesting to see a broads built boat so far from home.

And until only a few years ago, three of the four were still afloat and then we lost two in one year.  One is still going strong or was when I last emailed the person but have to admit haven't  been in touch now for 2 or 3 years!  Also one of the bigger ones that went over has been rescued as well.