Maurice Mynah Would Have A Field Day...

Timbo

...or apparently not! Perhaps this should be in the BOG section...perhaps the archaeology section but it's in the 'Lounge' section because that's what modern archaeologists do, don't cha know?

Many who know me come to understand that I often get sidetracked, sometimes through no fault of...I need to take those clamps off the timber I'm laminating for the cross cut sled...have you seen the price of angle iron? Where was I? Oh yes...sidetracked. Once Royal Tudor is back on the water I intend to make a few films for YouTube on the history and archaeology of the Broads. I'm currently researching this and was surprised at where, geographically, my research has taken me.

One particular site caught my interest...it had Vikings (to keep Grendel happy), Normans (to keep fans of narrow plastic boats happy), Royalists (without whom we wouldn't have Pippa Middleton's rear) and Parliamentarians (who frankly don't keep anyone happy). I ordered relevant map's, reports and documents. I discovered that planning permission had been given for an extensive housing estate to be built on the site, so armed with a camera, compass, notebook, pencil and two beagles I set off to survey the site while there was still something to survey.

Arriving on site I set my map and immediately noticed that something was wrong. Dylan the beagle was just about to cock his leg up against a mound, that according to the archaeological report, that justified the planning permission, should not be there.
"Hang on a minute Dylly...that mound's not supposed to be there!" I exclaimed.
Dylan stopped mid widdle and looked around suspiciously.
I checked the archaeological report which read "No evidence of inhumation" and looked again at the obvious burial.

Report in one hand and map in the other we walked onto the site.
'No inference of occupation' read the report.
I bent down and picked up a sizeable chunk of medieval pottery.
'No evidence of structure' read the report.
I paced out the remains of an enclosure and two, possibly three, buildings inside it. Something was amiss with this report. I finished surveying and photographing the site and headed for home. What on earth was wrong with the report? It seemed to have been written by someone who had never visited the site at all!

Back at home I hunted down my original copy of the report. Something was wrong...I just knew it. Two days later as I packed all of my papers into a box...work is starting on my new study, floor to ceiling bookcases, map chests, writing tables and space for my server...I spotted what was wrong with the report. The title said it all. 'A desk based archaeological study of...'. I quickly looked up the author. A commercial company of archaeologists. Desk based? Desk Based? There are certain activities that are not suitable for the involvement of commercial organisations. The NHS, Railways...The Steel Industry. Archaeology is another of these!

I've left the site location unmentioned for the moment as I seemed to have stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest. The upshot is...a non commercial team of archaeologists will be surveying the site. There won't be hoards of treasure found. The site will be built upon. But, the archaeology will be recorded and recorded correctly.

Now the reason for the title of this post. There is one 'desk based' archaeological report I am looking forward to, having read a sample, and that is Maurice Mynahs History of the Broads. Pratchettesque in it's quality and scope. When's the publication date MM?

• Like 1

Ahhh yes… hmmmm… publication date eh, good point.

This tome I am endeavouring to complete has taught me much in the subject of book writing, not least of all some of the basic skills needed to facilitate such an ambition. The ability to type is handy, as is reasonable spelling and an understanding of MS Word.

However let not these small hurdles I meet, lead you to think that this manuscript is not under constant review, editing and research. It shall be done, it shall be completed and to save yourself both time and effort, you may take my book as read.

It was never intended to be a large volume, which is just as well really, but Tim, I believe it was you who pointed out a while ago, that history is funny stuff. There’s loads of it and yet people keep making more.

Still… I must get back to it, don’t want to keep the people waiting. J