Lifeboats At Oulton Broad This Coming Saturday

JennyMorgan

When I was down at a meeting in Ipswich some years back, a friend down there took me out to Southwold, lovely place, sadly the day I was there - a Sunday - both the Adnams shop and the Lifeboat museum were closed.:cry

cheersIain

A great day was had by all! Many happy people enjoyed a tour around Charles Henry and Laura Moncur. All the boat owners are keen to do it again next year so we've booked up for the 11th of June next year, hopefully more boats next year too!

Donations on the day raised £132.57 for the Thames Class Lifeboat Trust towards the refurbishment. Thank you to everyone who came for your support, it is truly appreciated. 

Scott 

IMG_20160605_132200.jpg

• Like 2

If Peter hadn't put it on here I wouldn't have known anything about it and I live in Oulton Broad, even then I thought it was last weekend, it was only when I drove past and saw the lifeboats I realised it was this weekend and as I had planned other things I couldn't visit, I'm quite amazed it only raised £132.00 if it had been advertised a bit better and maybe a bit early it could have raised more, I have family local that said they would have gone if they knew about it, but even my daughter that belongs to every Lowestoft/Oulton ans Suffolk forum knew nothing about it,,

• Like 2

On 06/06/2016 at 0:31 PM, Mowjo said:

If Peter hadn't put it on here I wouldn't have known anything about it and I live in Oulton Broad, even then I thought it was last weekend, it was only when I drove past and saw the lifeboats I realised it was this weekend and as I had planned other things I couldn't visit, I'm quite amazed it only raised £132.00 if it had been advertised a bit better and maybe a bit early it could have raised more, I have family local that said they would have gone if they knew about it, but even my daughter that belongs to every Lowestoft/Oulton ans Suffolk forum knew nothing about it,,

I'm truly sorry! I really am... Working a full time job and juggling life and the trust too, In all honestly the event really crept up on me very fast. We are still a very new and very small organisation, we are growing in numbers and in fact signed up 2 new "practical" volunteers and an Admin/Fundraising volunteer over the course of the day Sunday.

Thankfully the new volunteer signed up on Sunday is very proactive already and she is willing to help take on the organisation of the event next year so I hope it will be bigger and much more popular. We do not see it as "ONLY" £132, as to date it is the best fundraising event we have been at, plus it is much needed publicity for a very new and unheard of cause.

Due to the nature and location of our cause, very few people will have heard of us, because as Peter would know, we are tucked up in a corner of an industrial estate, with little public access due to health and safety, and no passing "trade" so to speak.

With regards to the 57p, I saw many people do as I often do when I see collection boxes, and simply empty out all loose change, today with contactless payment and nearly everywhere accepting card, carrying cash is becoming less and less necessary. our leaflets (Which following sunday we are out of!) had details for the public on how to volunteer or how to donate online, so perhaps the event will continue to be successful even after it has finished...

Thank you to all on here for you're wonderful support, it was great to speak with the few of you on here who came along and introduced yourselves, or said you had seen us on NBN. I can't wait to see you all again next year! 

• Like 3

I'm not knocking the £132 as every little bit helps, I'm just saying I think it would have been a lot more if more people knew about the event, I didn't realise you were a one man band so well done for even getting that far, now I know about the event I'll be there next year with the rest of my tribe, there are several Broads based forums and Facebook groups for the Broads and for something like that I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you put a link to the event on them, If you can send me a link to the trust I'll put it on my Daughters facebook group, and have a word with another large group as I'm sure the would put it on theirs,,

Frank,,,

• Like 4

I'm not quite a one man band, but the circumstances for a couple of our committee members have changed lately. I'm quite certain it's only temporary and new people will join the ranks to assist going ahead. Thank you for helping to share the word :)