Lifeboats At Oulton Broad This Coming Saturday

JennyMorgan

There is a gathering of ex RNLI lifeboats at Oulton Broad Yacht Station on Saturday and there will be a parade around the Broad during the day. The event is being ran to raise funds for the refurbishment of the Lowestoft built ex lifeboat 50-001 for use as a youth training vessel by the Thames Class Lifeboat Trust, 

A near neighbour & friend of mine has been refurbishing a 1938 ex lifeboat over the last few months. He told me about the event, apparently there will be four ex lifeboats of varying vintage on display. The Thames Class Lifeboat is at this moment on shore at the Brooke Business Park, outside the shed that she was built in. Hopefully it will be an interesting day. 

• Like 6

Thanks for finding that, Alan. I was aware of the Rotary Service, she's at the yard where we keep 'Spray' during the winter. Didn't realize that she was an ex-lifeboat let alone one with a local history. My friend's boat is a sweet looking vessel as boats built for purpose tend to be. I'll waddle down the garden later & take a snap or two so folk can have a taster of what will be on display.

• Like 1

Here she be!:

P5290858.jpg

She's lost the shell-back cabin that she would most likely have had and has had a serviceable and reasonably good looking wheel-house built in its place. Got to say that if I was going to buy a 'stinky'  then this would have been the one. Built for survival at sea, rather than just to extract cash from buyers, she looks pretty much right to me, I admit to being a tad envious! She's now owned by a man who's father was one of the founder figures of the Wherry Trust. Good to see that she doesn't have one of those dingily, dangily, plastic fender thingies swinging from her stem-head ;)!

• Like 6

Her wheel house is functional, reckon her skipper would just need a Sherlock Holmes style pipe of equal character to puff as he motors along, peering out the door at admiring or inquisitive bystanders. Errr, he already has one, evil furnace like affair!

P5290859.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Thanks Iain, nice one! Any idea where and when she was on the Broads? I don't recollect seeing her down this way.

JM,

Sadly I do not. I just remembered reading about that lifeboat, as we have spent many short breaks in our younger years in Whitby.

The Sarah Ann, lifeboat, may well have been used as a back up for the Moelfre boat when it went for a major overhaul. In saying that, I would not have fancied being on her in a force 10! I have distant family connections through my mother with the lifeboat station at Moelfre. We are also friends of the past Troon Coxwain. 

I have nothing but admiration for all RNLI crews. Brave folks, all of them.

cheersIain

• Like 1

My folk too have been crew members, at least on my mum's side. One even became coxswain of the Pakefield boat:

http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-images/XJ101269/Nathaniel-Colby-coxwain-of-the-Pakefield-Lifeboat?img=5&search=Pakefield&bool=phrase

In recent times the nearest any of us got to the lifeboat was me being an auxiliary Coast Guard, leaving the heroics to the RNLI. 

Hi All

One of the chaps from the Trust is trying to register on the Forum at the moment to update us all with information!!!

THE DATE OF THE EVENT IS JUNE 5th !!!!!! Please make a note if you wish to be there.

When his login is approved he will post other details I'm sure.

Spotted this one just passing Somerleyton the other day!

John.

image.jpeg

Edited by CaptainJoshie
Add photo and typo
  • Like 3

Thanks John, Thanks Alan!
Cooey, and Good afternoon Ladies and Gents. 

Apologies for the late arrival on this fine forum! I shall properly introduce myself elsewhere...

He’res a snippet we’ve sent to the local radio/news papers

Former lifeboats to gather raising funds for youth training vessel.

On Sunday the 5th of June a gathering of former lifeboats will take place at Oulton Broad yacht station, the event is raising funds for the Thames Class Lifeboat Trust, who are currently refurbishing a Lowestoft built former lifeboat for use as a youth training vessel.

The vessels will be moored, and displayed to the public between 9am and 4pm, Followed by a brief parade on the broad before departing through Mutford Lock. Meanwhile on the day visitors will be able to sample the various attractions of Oulton broad including taking a ride along the river between the Heritage Quay and Oulton Broad using the Lowestoft River Taxi “Terrier”, and see the wonders for sale at the regular Artists Boulevard.   

The vessels expected at the event include a 1930s former Blackpool lifeboat “Sarah Ann Austin” of the 35’6” Liverpool single screw class, she was in service until 1965. “Laura Moncur” the recently restored 47ft Watson Class based at Buckie from 1960 until 1983, having a major conversion to become self-righting in 1972, she served her final years in the service as a Relief lifeboat, before being sold in 1988. “Charles Henry” The last of a kind, the only existing 48ft Oakley class lifeboat afloat in private hands. Built in 1969 and stationed at Selsey and Baltimore until she was sold in 1987. Finally, the youngest vessel expected at the gathering “Horace Clarkson” a 37ft Rother class lifeboat, Based at Moefre between 1977-1987 and then serving in the relief fleet until 1992, She is the only lifeboat at the gathering to have been built self-righting due to the buoyancy of the superstructure. (though the same technique was later used on “Laura Moncur”)

Sadly not present at the event is the trusts own vessel, currently undergoing refurbishment in Lowestoft. Built at Brooke Marine in 1973 and Stationed at Falmouth and Dover during her RNLI years “Rotary Service” is now being converted for use as a youth training vessel. She will provide training for young and disadvantaged youths in the hope of giving them assistance to find employment in the maritime sector.

This refurbishment expected to take 2 years is being funded entirely through charitable donations and grant funding to find out more about the trust, visit our stand at the event or visit www.50001.org.uk

DSCF7786.JPG

DSCF7667.JPG

• Like 4

Hello Scott,

Welcome to the NBN forum.

I wish I was nearer to the Broads so we could have seen the lifeboats on SunMuppetryday, I am sure that you will get a large crowd around the boats.

Could you please place some pictures of the event onto the forum for those of us who can not attend.

I wish you well with the trust and hope you do get plenty of donations.

Please visit the trusts website:-

www.50001.org.uk

Regards

Alan

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the NBN forum.:wave As Alan said, please do put pics of the event on here, I am sure there will be lots of interest. Our ex coxwain in Troon, is at present up in the Shetlands at a lifeboat bash .

A couple of boats in at the harbour in Lerwick.

IMG_2773.JPG

cheersIain

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the NBN forum.:wave As Alan said, please do put pics of the event on here, I am sure there will be lots of interest. Our ex coxwain in Troon, is at present up in the Shetlands at a lifeboat bash .

A couple of boats in at the harbour in Lerwick.

IMG_2773.JPG

cheersIain

Another 'stinkey' to relish!

So SUNDAY IT IS, glad that Scott has told us. Incidentally the skipper of Sarah Ann used to play in the Moody Blues so any fans out there, take your autograph books along!

• Like 2

Waddled down to the village after lunch. Very pleasant hour spent nosing around where I met Scott, admired the quality and detail of what was once a foreign based lifeboat, she'd been based in Scotland and met up with several old friends.

P6050879.JPG

P6050881.JPG

P6050882.JPG

P6050883.JPG

P6050886.JPG

P6050887.JPG

• Like 3

What really pi...s me right of with events like these is they NEVER happen when I`M on the broads.  Most years, there`s been anb event sometime, and we miss it by a week or so. That would have been a real spectacle to see. I`m sure we can all remember the Pen Lea tragedy, a friend and coleague at work who was also into boating suggested we make a donation to the families of the lifeboatmen that were lost on that fateful day. We agreed to put £5.00 each to the widows and orphans fund, but what sickened me was to hear the branch manager ask why, and saying "well it`s their own stupid fault for doing it in the first place". I came very close to commiting murder that day.  And by the way, at the time of the tragedy, £5.00 out my weekly wage was quite a big chunk.  These days however, i pay a regular amount as a "a life governor", or at least that`s what i think it`s called?. Anyway, whatever it`s term, i`m very proud to do so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

What really pi...s me right of with events like these is they NEVER happen when I`M on the broads.  Most years, there`s been anb event sometime, and we miss it by a week or so. That would have been a real spectacle to see. I`m sure we can all remember the Pen Lea tragedy, a friend and coleague at work who was also into boating suggested we make a donation to the families of the lifeboatmen that were lost on that fateful day. We agreed to put £5.00 each to the widows and orphans fund, but what sickened me was to hear the branch manager ask why, and saying "well it`s their own stupid fault for doing it in the first place". I came very close to commiting murder that day.  And by the way, at the time of the tragedy, £5.00 out my weekly wage was quite a big chunk.  These days however, i pay a regular amount as a "a life governor", or at least that`s what i think it`s called?. Anyway, whatever it`s term, i`m very proud to do so.

As you live close to where they build and test the Lifeboats, Neil, a few pics showing the sheer size of the set up at Poole may surprise some. I have on disc somewhere and will try and hunt out soon.

cheersIain