Nick, Nick At The Weekend

Baitrunner

Had a bit of a fright Sunday when the BA launch pulled me over with his lights flashing!! They had closed part of the Yare off yesterday for Ski boat testing whatever that is. Had a section of river between Cantley and the Chet closed down to boats for about 30 mins Sunday afternoon with a ranger at both ends while they played. 

Saw about 4 ski boats hanging around when they let us through.

Anyone know what they were testing on the ski boats? Maybe a low wash hull, but then that's not good for a ski boat. And most of the boats looked a few years old.

I was going to ask if we were allowed to whizz through the closed section, but didn't think he would have appreciated that. :party:

It does explain why a few boats we went past were pushing it a bit if they knew the rangers were busy.

I recon the Rangers make their boats conspicuous, so they don't have to deal with anything.

When I was teaching, I had really quiet shoes, and everytime I entered a class room, I first had to deal with the kids and get them to sit down.

So... I bought some hard soled shoes, clonked all the way to the classroom, result... all kids in their place ready to work.. ( As if lol) but it helped.

Now if a Broads Ranger rode shotgun with me going north on the Ant on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, he would have to deal with a lot more than stopping the odd boat to say the river is closed lol.

I wonder... if the Ranger checked to see if your toll was upto date when he stopped you? I hope he did, and checks a lot more. 

There appears to be a common mis-conception here and in several other places that water-ski boats are designed to create a large wake. This is incorrect, a low wash hull is ideal!

When looking to waterski, you should be looking for a boat that creates the minimum amount of wash as the wake disrupts your ability to cut from one side of the boat to the other - vital in slalom skiing and also helpful for less experienced folk on 2 skis. The only part exception to this is for 'trick' skiing but then you are down to such low speeds (approx 10kts vice 20-30kts) that the boat will inevitably be creating a lager wash as it sits off the plane and in semi-displacement mode.

The difference comes when you move to these stupid wakeboard things where the whole need is for a large wake. Unfortunately boats designed for this are then used for other purposes and give well designed and operated ski-boats a bad name.

(In order to clarify, I do not ski on or near the Broads but learnt 40 years ago on the south coast. My boat, a 50 year old 14' Westcraft Watson with a 90HP creates an 18-24" wash at 10kts and <6" at 25-30kts - never actually bent down to measure it but...)

• Like 3

I stand corrected - not being a skier I was going on what an acquaintance told me about his ski boat - I guess he was probably a wake boarder or trick skier. 

The guys I saw on Sunday were on wake boards so maybe the test was to see how much wash their boats kicked out? There was someone with a camera there at one point. 

2 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

The guys I saw on Sunday were on wake boards so maybe the test was to see how much wash their boats kicked out? There was someone with a camera there at one point. 

That may be the case. I haven't looked recently but I seem to remember from a brief investigation a few (well probably nearer 10) years ago that wake boarding was not permitted in the Broads skiing areas. Presumably because of the wash. If it has been allowed since then or they are looking at allowing it, then I would suspect that this may have been part of a risk assessment.

OK, curiosity got the better of me! It appears that my memory was either faulty or just out of date and that wake boarding is allowed - http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/looking-after/managing-land-and-water/recreation-and-tourism/how-we-manage-waterskiing

Given that, it was probably part of a routine risk assessment review.:clap

Mind you, if I put my conspiracy theory hat on, was it a way of ensuring no obvious interaction with other vessels whilst they got some good "action" pictures to help with advertising the National Park! :hardhat:

• Like 1

I had a recent conversation ref wakeboard boat wash after sustaining damage from same. I learnt that the maximum permitted wash is 12" across the board and that includes dredger's, cruisers, ski boats, yachts, rangers launches and even kayaks. Worth bearing in mind should you need such info

And yes, I am a water skiier... well not this year yet but live in hope!

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

yes, I am a water skiier... 

Now that I would love to see!!

Presumably you are a mono skier JA - how do you attach the ski? I guess it is screwed to the keel;)

What do you use for a tow boat? I bet that wash would be more than 12 inches:naughty:

:hardhat: and returns hurriedly under the stone from which he crawled!

• Like 1