Cruiser Sailing Without Lights, Shock Horror, Lifeboat Called!

JennyMorgan

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I am pleased that, whilst saying that boatyards are "only" interested in making money, you also acknowledge that, to remain in business, you have to be!

After almost a lifetime in the game, I can assure you that very rarely is there any money in it but we do it, and love it, as a wonderful way of life. We also realise that it is a service industry which relies on regular customers. If they are not happy with their holiday (even if they don't tell us why) then they won't come back again. There are a lot of holiday choices out there in the world today.

We have always regarded the Broads as our "stock in trade". If they are not beautiful and well maintained then we are out of business.

But now there is a sea change on the Broads. The service and facilities in the old days were there for all, with more than 100 boatyards around the area - I have never counted them all but in 1964 Blakes had 43 members, some of whom had more than one yard. They also leased and ran many moorings of their own, especially Malthouse Broad and GYYS. There were also a lot more pubs, of course.

That infrastructure is no longer there and so the few remaining yards don't have the power now, to provide facilities in the way that they used to, so we must look elsewhere for the finance, and the action. Don't forget that hire boats already pay a much greater river toll than private boats.

I am looking forward to hearing more details from Alan about the NSBA as it is possible that the forum can provide a volume of opinion to add weight to their efforts.

That they have to be interested in making money.is the point I was trying to make  If  they don't make much I think that is a pity because clearly a great deal of hard work goes in to running such a business. One wonders how long it will before there are no hire companies  at all. I am all too aware that  being in business for oneself is not the piece of cake some think it is and if no money is being made there doesn't seem to be much point in continuing , Love of boats and enthusiasm don't pay the bills, unfortunately. Also it must be recognised just how many of these boat yards are sitting on land that would be much sought after for development.  the temptation to sell for what would probably be a very great deal of money must be hard to resist when you're working your socks off for very little reward.

regards,

Carole

Edited by addicted
  • Like 4