Lift Out

Guest mariotech

I have a dilemma. I am hoping to have the boat lifted out on the 14th December for about 10 weeks. I will be spending around five days on the boat first off to strip the anti foul and compound the hull and another five days around the end of February to polish and paint. We were hoping to go to the new years eve party at the wrc and stay on-board if the boat is lifted there or do we have the boat lifted at Goodchilds. Prices are about the same for both so any input to help make up my mind would be appreciated.

Jonathan :Stinky

Partly what is swaying me Jim. I will be taking my student Nephews with me and paying them in food and beer so not sure if that's a good thing.

Is the Wrc on a south facing slope and therefore quite sheltered. How sheltered is Goodchilds in bad weather ?

A couple of observations Jonathan, from a purely technical point I would choose Goodchilds for the care they take lifting and chocking bigger boats. That’s not to say that WRC don’t take care in fact I’m sure they do but GMS have lovely kit for the job. The on site pub is a valid point but if you’ve got work to do the absence of one might actually be an advantage. :grin: One thing I can say for sure, at GMC the wind can whistle a bit and if from the wrong direction there’s bugger all to stop it for miles and it can get a bit cihlly working outside. Still at least you can have a “warm up shower†without having to put a coin in the slot. Access should be another consideration as if we get snow then the road into WRC would present more of an issue than GMS.

Hi David,

WRC have the same sort of hoist as Goodchilds and from what I have seen of their chocing it is by proper boat props and seems done well.The showers don't need a coin anymore either.

If I was having work done I would choose Goodchilds, this is purely as the dealings I have had with them have been superb, that said I havn't tried WRC.

I have to say though given that costs are the same the extra living facility's of WRC are pulling me that way.

Jonathan is also Jeep powered so the snow should not prove difficult.

Ian

Ah that's OK then Ian he can just plot a course off the main road in a straight line to WRC. :grin:

Good to see that WRC are equiping themselves well, I don't know, you go AWOL for a couple of years and everything changes, I can remember when it was all green fields. :naughty:

Have just had my boat 'lifted' at the WRC, and was impressed with the way it has been 'parked' and supported.

James has had the whole of storage area raised, so there should no longer be a lake forming there, during very high tides.

Dave

"Is the Wrc on a south facing slope and therefore quite sheltered. How sheltered is Goodchilds in bad weather ?"

I think, and I emphasise think the WRC is southish facing. The abiding memories however are1, the Nordic Leisure Centre, 2, the pub and 3, some flippin hurricane in 1987 that we (and several others) lived thorough that night :shocked:shocked:shocked

Twas 1987

Night all! cheersbar

Another consideration, an obvious one really but it may be overlooked, can you get a power supply to your ship in the hardstanding areas?

The hardstanding at GMS has two sides that shelter a bit from the winds, in the lee of the buildings and in the lee of the Kingfisher site and trees. The other two sides are pretty bleak though and I have seen parts of the hard standing flood on exceptional tides.

As you know...we are moored at Goodchilds and we had our boat on the hardstanding from Jan-March this year. They are very professional being a commercial marine facility. Alan and Sue Goodchild are fab and will always accomodate.

Not being too biased but if it was the same price, I would choose goodchilds. There is a lot of experienced help around (mon-fri only) should you need it (and we did being newbies) and they were more than happy to help , give advice, and if anything, encouraged us to do things for ourselves by showing us what to do, though I know that wont be an issue for you Johnathan. Shower block is infinitely superior to WRC.

No shortage of alcohol and entertainment as we moor there!!! Oh...thats the downside...the locals!!! :pirate :pirate :pirate

adam...

Jonathan

Although there isn't a pub onsite at Goodchilds, bear in mind that there is a pub just up the road and next door is the Kingfisher private park with a clubhouse, we have never used either but know people from the marina who do and like them. You also have a chinese takeaway and the holiday park across the road has a year round indoor pool, etc you can use. You are also only a 10 min drive from Tesco, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, B&Q, etc, etc.

We have decided to go with WRC as it is nearer to home 135 miles compared to 145 for Goodchilds. Also means we will be there for new years eve which is shaping up quite nicely. It will be handy to have the pub and shop on site as well.