More Stupidly On The River

My wife, long after the event, told me that her father was horrified when I turned up late for a first date riding a 1920's 'sit-up-and-beg' pedal bike, wearing shorts, a fisherman's slop and riding bare foot and was complete with beard & shoulder length hair. I was clearly a waste of space & she was wasting her time on me, that was forty five years ago!  Never judge a book by its cover!! Heaven only knows what she saw in me but I'm glad that she did!

• Like 3

What these boats have done in wrong fact. What the crew see is lets get a boat and take the beer with us and have a laugh.

What they don't see is the danger involved it could be their first trip out on the water, lets go & pass me a warm beer!.

You folks are seeing years of accidents etc. Hands up I started crewing on the trip boat at 16 and was running across lock gates in the dark with 10 foot drops etc whilst filling on the canal and did this for 15 years. Going down the river we had a manual heavy lock (back paying for it now) and an electric lock. Rest of the time it was chatting to the putters out the front. The river looked calm but if you dropped the barge pole in it would pull at around 8" deep and we did this to show passengers etc.

Now I never thought that been waist deep hanging from a packing tape then letting go would pull you 10 foot down and 15 foot across and stuck his feet in the mud till a guy did this to me I tried to talk onboard, Nothing we could do but get the passengers back to base and wait for the police to come.  My chatup lines have never been any good.

My other hate to do with water is the evening news - last night a person died falling in the river on their way home from DRINKING, then you get there should be railings up etc no johnny shouldn't have got that drunk.

• Like 2