Starting engines from cold

Guest Jupiter Mist

Hi all,

having read Marks (Mbird) recent post and glad to hear that after two months standing cold, his engines started immediately....

a) I am jealous! :naughty:

B) Why wont mine, especially considering they were only serviced by Burton Waters in December? Doh! Never had the problem on Jupes with her AD31's.

The Kad32's always will start but seem to need to turn over for a good 6-10 seconds before doing so and I am concerned this could cause excessive wear to starter motor, belts etc. We also get a rather less than healthy amount of bluey white smoke for the first 5 minutes once started.

Once warm...they are absolutely fine...and restart immediate with no smoke at all.

Any tips or advice...?

adam aka LB :pirate :pirate :pirate

Well Leroy, when I started them this morning again to check the charge from the alternators, the port engine again started immediately, but the starboard took about 4 seconds to kick in, and yes, we get a lot of blue smoke from cold too.

How much throttle do you give when starting? Mine prefer quite a lot of gas and then throttle back as soon as they fire. It still amazes me these things start at all with no glow plugs!

hi ya all,

jimbo we have no glowplugs and yes mark amazing isnt it.

I have tried a little extra throttle on occasions on the advice of others here but doesnt seem to make a difference.

adam... :pirate

Volvos = smoke, it's just a case of how much (sorry Neil), even the D series which is supposed to be smoke free does it a little bit on start up after light usage. I reckon once you have given them a bit of work to do that a few goes at outrunning the Kraken they will improve. :lol::naughty:

Had that on the old BMC bad starting and smoke ,but went well after that. Went to the boat to check her today and she started after a few turns ( 3 pot Perky ).First time since December.Had a bad cold but the sunshine makes you feel all that much better.Glorious sun on the way back home passed two Gritters spreading ??? at 4 PM . Funny old day??? cheersbar:party2:

The Kad32's always will start but seem to need to turn over for a good 6-10 seconds before doing so and I am concerned this could cause excessive wear to starter motor,

Wouldn't worry too much Adam, go back 20 years and almost every car took 20 seconds to start every time and the starter motors lasted ok.

Clanny takes a good 10 seconds on each engine if you leave her a week, as all the petrol in the carb has evaporated, she is 17 now and they look like original starters.

In some ways it's a blessing that engines take a few seconds to fire up, at least it gives the oil pressure chance to build and fill the galleries and splash a bit on the bores before any revs are applied. :grin:

Mine used to get going first time without fail ... nothing but a quick shower of spider detritus as the engine unfurled.

As far as I can see your type of engine is the least reliable of the lot. see them stalled all over the Broads :grin::grin:

We used to have all sorts of awful problems with them too Ian, beautiful day, not a breath of wind, you know, just the kind of day for a lovely trip out and the damn things wouldn’t ever start under those conditions. :naughty:

Smellyloo wrote

Mine used to get going first time without fail ... nothing but a quick shower of spider detritus as the engine unfurled.

I tended to unfurl my engine on Breydon when Broads based; always found it was a very good place for spider clearing :naughty: