The Youngsters Remember

ExSurveyor

Talking to my little granddaughter Ellie on the way to diving tonight she was telling me about a poem they read out during a Remembrance assembly today, she could recite the first few lines and said it was a lovely but sad  poem,  I recited my favourite war poem, The Life That I Have,   this is now her other favourite poem.
The school caretaker played the Last Post on his bugle,  or as she called it,  The Last Ghost.
Good to know the next generation are being shown the importance of Remembrance.

In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

The Life That I Have

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours

The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

by Leo Marks

The second photo is my Dad,  a Royal Marine,  signed up in 1944 at 14 after claiming to be 16.

Some years later he the played The Last Post at the Cenataph and the Royal Naval memorials at Chatham,  Portsmouth and Plymouth.

A day to remember why we are free and those we should be grateful to.

Many men came back having witnessed unimaginable horrors and treatment,  they would never be the same again or enjoy the lives that the should have.

Too many died on the battlefield,  many more died emotionally and spiritually from the effects of war.

The suffering didn't end in 1945 and continues today with many of our service men and women.

WE SHOULD REMEMBER THEM.

FB_IMG_1478550828955.jpg

FB_IMG_1510356503318.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Lovely words that must be taught to our youngsters. Over 60 years ago when I was in the Scouts our troop headquarters covered about 2 acres in area, mainly wooded, the double gates that were the entrance had a plaque over with some words that we had to learn. It went something like this;-

"Scouts of this place be worthy of your dead, they gave their lives so you that live can reap a better harvest ere you fall asleep"

These words must have had an effect on me, to remember them 60 plus years later. I always think ofthese at this time of the year

• Like 5

Last night I helped collecting for the Poppy appeal. Will do the same this afternoon. Have been helping for the last few years.Always get a good response from the public.Good also to see children wearing the poppy.I agree we must never forget those that sadly lost there lives and those injured and indeed served in conflicts.

We will Remember  them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I shall be at the war memorial in our village as usual. It is quite a big parade, with firemen and gendarmes in uniform, and lots of young children who stand either side of the cross and call out all the names that are inscribed on it. They sing the Marseillaise and the mayor reads a message from the President, which is read out in every town and village in France.

They like to see the English residents there, as we all wear poppies. It's all very nice, but for me it lacks the Royal Marines band and drums!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Couple of things I forgot to mention.

Almost half of the names on the war memorial come from families who still live and work in the village, and in the surrounding vineyards.

The mayor, who is from one of those families, invited us all back to the town hall afterwards, for a "vin d'honneur" and some hors d'oeuvres. The French will always have a good excuse for a cocktail party!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fantastically sad time of year for me, if that makes sense.

My dad, who died a few years back, for years raised money for the British Legion.

Amongst other stuff he would collect at this time of year at Liverpool St. Station, even when he was really unwell, he'd be up at 4-30 to set up his stall to "sell" the poppies. He weren't the brightest of folk but knew the city people had some cash to spare.

I went to help him a couple of times, a real eye opener. Some people would just come up and put money in the bucket, £5, £10, without breaking stride. More importantly were the families, Mum, Dad, and two kids who took time to take in and explain what was going on, I had people shake my hand, others pat me on the shoulder as thanks. Honestly, you need to be there to truly understand the generosity of people. I believe the gratitude we all owe to those who fought will live on for a long while.

Although conscripted, my Dad never saw active service, he did his bit another way and he makes me proud.

Yours with a tear..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This evening we were packing up,most things were packed away.People kept coming along.In the space of about 10/15 minutes we must of collected about 50/60 pounds.Yes it's very rewarding collecting for the Poppy appeal. This morning we were shopping in Bexleyheath,The 2 minute silence at 11 o'clock  was observed by most,apart from the old few.

• Like 6