An Educated Guess

I was taught to plan on paper chats but as day skipper barely recognised gps I now plan on plotter and print waypoint to transfer to paper ( save on rubber). I asked about the local knowledge Luke as we tend to think that those that turn sharp left out of Lowestoft have local Knowledge or petrol engines.

Jonathan :Stinky

I was taught to plan on paper chats but as day skipper barely recognised gps I now plan on plotter and print waypoint to transfer to paper ( save on rubber). I asked about the local knowledge Luke as we tend to think that those that turn sharp left out of Lowestoft have local Knowledge or petrol engines.

LOL ! No, Jonathon, all I ever did was go out of Lowestoft and keep going in pretty much the same direction until we hit some land !! I think this is another one of our reasons for looking forward to this weekend, as we have never done coastal stuff, just out - and keep going !

LOL ! No, Jonathon, all I ever did was go out of Lowestoft and keep going in pretty much the same direction until we hit some land !! I think this is another one of our reasons for looking forward to this weekend, as we have never done coastal stuff, just out - and keep going !

You will enjoy the scenery going past Luke makes you feel like you are going faster at least it does at 15 kts :cry We have only been 15 mile off before and have to look out the back to check we are still going.

Nothing wrong with the straight left approach, find it is better to turn into the pier heads as well rather than that straight line thing, saves about 200 yards or another £10 :grin:

Anyway as long as you are going faster than 20 knots you only need a foot or so

Col....

you KNOW that I have my season ticket platinum card with the RNLI already :naughty:

They know I am about this easter so they have already booked overtime!!!

Next time you see the collectors in tesco...dont put in coins...just the folding stuff cos "you Know I am worth it"

LB :pirate:naughty: :pirate

This is hopefully what you'll end up with - again appoligies that I can't just copy and paste the file, have to take a picture, resize, then post etc...

[attachment=0]Seal Sands.jpg[/attachment]

Good morning Luke and all,

I have just seen some recent posts and the one about crossing the banks betweeen Scroby and the Corton Sands is 'intrequeing?'

The old Hewett channel went out through there but silted up in the late 80s early 90s. Although the charted depth states a minimum of 2 metres,from experience I would say you would be lucky to find that amount of water. If there is any amount of swell that would then exacbate the situation even more.

When I ever go up to the wind farm, I always follow the main channels, cant go wrong then. The sand banks off Yarmouth are well known for shifting about. Thats why the Hydrograhper issues new charts each year for this area.

Only my thoughts,

Paul

I am sure Lukes post was exactly as you describe it Rod.

There is hope of a small window for salt siding on Sunday with wind over tide but it will be on the day that everyone decides.

Thank you both Paul and Rod for your imput any advice from experienced mariners is always most welcome. the same is true on any Salty Bottoms threads.

I am sure Lukes post was exactly as you describe it Rod.

Yes it was Ian, and it was me that asked Mark by PM to edit the post to reflect that... Actually I asked Mark to completely delete the thread just in case some one actually used it, but Mark quite rightly pointed out that there is other good information on the thread so edited my post in big red letters to make sure everybody understood.

Sorry for any confusement here, totally my fault.

I know I am looking forward to this mornings boat run a lot more than yesterdays when it was blowing 40kts from the SW :o

Rod

It's such a pain scraping all the fish scales off the roof and picking starfish out of the array after that isn't it Rod, or do you have a special man for that?

Oh dear, I apologize if I have caused a problem, but I thought it would be a good idea to point out these things, Will give you all a wave as you go past, you cant miss us, the cream and brown boat at the Haven Marina. (I do, however,hope you do miss me, I have just repainted her!!!!!)

Paul