• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• calender payment

Calendar Paymene

Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
High6

50 Shades Of Wood

It's a popular idea to continue the traditional theme of wooden boat interior design, but when you've looked at several dozen prospective boats with faced ply and formica-laminated cupboards and furniture it does start to get very "samey", even boring. "Seen one, seen 'em all".

Has no-one designed something modern, with pastel or bright coloured surfaces perhaps', or maybe a "distressed" paintwork effect? What would you suggest?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

There's lots of distressed paintwork about!

• Like 1

No plastic here, apart from the collection box & biro!

saloon-wherry-hathor.jpg

No plastic here, apart from the collection box & biro!
saloon-wherry-hathor.jpg&key=e2885f10380ee1f56f8a50c4b482f7fdd0c5cb3b7d72b8935ebc4a8e2425bb46
That ain't no plastic, dude - it just goes to show how modern boats have failed to adequately reproduce the glory and character of the real wooden boat. If we can't manage to build them today we must be able to come up with something better than obviously fake wood.

6 minutes ago, High6 said:

That ain't no plastic, dude - it just goes to show how modern boats have failed to adequately reproduce the glory and character of the real wooden boat. If we can't manage to build them today we must be able to come up with something better than obviously fake wood.

I think I agree; a plastic boat can only ever be a plastic boat albeit trimmed with real wood but sadly that is usually veneer. There is nothing like a real wooden boat and to quote a furniture company "No Veneer In Ere.

I am not sure that the Egyptian decor of the pleasure wherry Hathor can be regarded as typical.

Something to aspire to, definitely yes!

At the Southampton Boat Show by chance I happened to find myself talking with the MD of one the premier UK boat builders, also by coincidence we were discussing the woodwork on new fiberglass boats; he explained that there had actually been a shift from the almost Ikea like molded interiors of a few years ago, back to the decorated and inlaid wooden interiors that they offered today.

Added value is great for the manufacturer if they can find the customers who can afford it. Truth is, the cost of traditional workmanship is too great for today's average client and I find it surprising that no-one has come up with an innovative design using space-age materials to produce a really practical and attractive solution at a more affordable price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, High6 said:

Added value is great for the manufacturer if they can find the customers who can afford it. Truth is, the cost of traditional workmanship is too great for today's average client and I find it surprising that no-one has come up with an innovative design using space-age materials to produce a really practical and attractive solution at a more affordable price.

Sorry I should have added that they were trying to migrate from "cheap" back to traditional values and quality.

surely with modern laser cutting accurate techniques, an inlaid panel is no longer an expensive item to produce.

37 minutes ago, grendel said:

surely with modern laser cutting accurate techniques, an inlaid panel is no longer an expensive item to produce.

I think that was their point, the wooden floors on my boat ('cos I can see the edges) are clearly laser cut. as is probably most of the wooden panels including those covered by fabric,